Author Topic: Tillering a Lefty Bow?  (Read 1042 times)

Offline HighEagle

Tillering a Lefty Bow?
« on: April 02, 2020, 04:33:11 pm »
A friendship started,
   Thru importing  2 Painted Desert Rams (Hair sheep) from Texas. He brought me a 6' Osage log off his ranch big enough to get 5 staves.. We spoke about making him a bow when the staves have seasoned and when I felt more seasoned myself and able to trust my bows in other hands.
 So its been five years now and I have a good start on one of the staves, roughed out and at the floor tillering stage. Was going to make this bow a surprise but got to thinking what if  he's left handed and I sent him a right handed bow. Turns out he is a lefty 

I have two questions is their any differences tillering a left handed bow? Any tips

He shoots a compound bow now, Is the draw length the same?

And how about weight? He would like hunt a deer with it

His specs:               
                 His compound is 26” draw and is set at 65 lbs with a 40% letoff.  He is 5’8” without shoes. Short arms and he use a release for the
   compound
'
    So I was thinking a 62-64" ntn 45/52#@26 or 27" maybe a good transition bow, What do you all think?

Thanks, Chuck       
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:46:09 pm by HighEagle »
Armstrong, BC

Offline RyanY

Re: Tillering a Lefty Bow?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 04:41:58 pm »
Sounds like a great plan. Can’t think of any reason tillering a lefty would be different than a righty.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 05:23:21 pm »
   His specs:               
                 His compound is 26” draw and is set at 65 lbs with a 40% letoff.  He is 5’8” without shoes. Short arms and he use a release for the compound.

So I was thinking a 62-64" ntn 45/52#@26 or 27" maybe a good transition bow, What do you all think?

If only 40% let off is correct then a 45-52# bow should be manageable for him, especially the 45# end of that range. Most compounds these days are more like 80-85% let off, though. I think making the bow safe to 27" draw seems like a good idea as his conventional draw could well expand a bit beyond his compound draw once he is pulling without a wall to run up against.

Mark

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 11:59:30 pm »
You should check his draw length with a marked arrow by actual drawing the arrow, or a yardstick by holding it to the center of the collar bone and placing bot hands on the stick, somebody needs to hold the stick!  Another method is to have him stand spread eagle and mark the middle fingers and halve the distance.  Those will get you in the ball park.  The other option is just tiller to 28".  Also be sure to work from the left :BB >:D (lol)!  I think that deserves another devil and a laugh >:D (lol). Good luck!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 12:36:15 am »
It doesn't make any difference.
I'd say your specs are spot on.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 02:48:16 am »
Nah man your intuitions are there man. Really no different in tiller, just more or less where the string tracks on the handle. If it’s not center it should hug the side the rest is on, but I’m sure you know that amigo:)
As far as the unsure draw length, Bc wheelie archers have different lengths than with a traditional setup. if I can’t measure someone’s draw the way that hawk described; just literally measuring their draw. I’ll measure they’re wingspan in inches, and divide that by 2.5 and 9/10 it’s bang on.
I have a few buds that shoot 75# wheelie bows that are pretty shaky when shooting a 50-55 trad bow, so your game plan seems pretty solid man have at it! Let us know how he likes it and don’t forget to share:)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline HighEagle

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 04:04:45 am »

Thanks for the input, I figured it would be about the same But was just checking to make sure never made a lefty before. Will get some practice shooting left may have to find a bigger Barn

Thanks again Chuck
Armstrong, BC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 11:25:32 am »
Sort of off topic, but I thought I would try shooting some from the right (other way) - lasted 2 shots, and the shoulders said "no way, dude!".  At least I hit the target butt both times!  Even with a strong right eye, I learned to shoot left handed 670 years or more ago, too late to change!  Good luck with the bow and just remember to put the arrow pass on the right side! :BB (lol)!  Hope I don't divert the thread too much!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry