Author Topic: How to fix this twist?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline EdwardS

How to fix this twist?
« on: April 14, 2020, 05:12:57 pm »
This stave is special to me, and it's also long enough for my draw.  It has twist at one end and I don't know how to take it out.  I have a pot to steam it (it's white oak) but no heat gun.  I can build a fire if needed.  But how do I get this out with no bench vise?

http://imgur.com/gallery/FWxg9b6

Offline sleek

Re: How to fix this twist?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 05:23:24 pm »
You don't have to. Lots of folks thing twist has to be removed. It doesn't. I have made bows with close to 45° twist and they do fine. That twist is so minimal   I'd not even acknowledge its presence.  Just lay out each limb  make the tips line up with the handle, and make your bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 07:25:00 pm »
 If you really want to you could plane down the tips on the back of one limb, without compromising the integrity of the grain too much.

I have seen that done on many old bows. Yes you technically cut through a ring but the grain along the limb will still be straight. Its essentially what you do with a board bow, but just on the offending section of twist..

Another option is to glue on horn nocks after floor tillering. You can twist the nock around so it lines up with the other tip.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 08:52:58 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it. If it bothers you later you could steam the tip and clamp it to a form with wedges and strategically placed to eliminate it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 09:46:06 pm »
You will need a heat gun down the line,and you will want to make a few forms of you choice, and buy some good quality clamps. Like Sleek said that twist isn't that bad, so you could let that one alone. Today if fixed a bad twist on an Elm stave. I got down to a good floor tiller , put it on a form,oiled the belly, and with a dry heat lined the tips up with handle ,and clamped  my way down from the the handle  to the tips. It came out with some reflex,straight ,and 95 percent of the twist gone with a good heat treat. All in one step. It is ready for final tiller.That will make life a lot easier for you if you learn to do it that way.JMO, and others may vary.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 02:00:49 am »
Like it's already been said you can tiller a bow that has twist. By go-to field shooting bow is called "Twister".
Here's a trick from my blog that may help you check that the bow isn't twisting further during tillering.
https://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2011/03/twisting-bow.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 01:40:05 pm »
Further question-I don't have the greatest amount of tools.  Is it a viable idea since I'm building a bendy-handle bow to just split the belly wood down to the thickness of the handle and work from there?

I originally planned a scalloped bow for this, but without taking out the twist making the tips line up means running more to the side than the scallops will allow.  Any ideas for me?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 05:11:30 pm »
yes,,, great advice from above,,
I think just make the bow as is,, and keep it simple,,
no need to complicate the process, once the arrow is shooting you will be happy,,
not sure how much wood you have to remove,,
I usually use hatchet or machete, if I dont have a band saw,,
as you start to make the bow the process will become more clear,
the twist is not an issue at all,, proceed making the bow, thats my suggestion,, (-S

we are always here if you get stuck at some point,,

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 06:18:49 pm »
how thick is it?
i would split it off a little bit thicker than i plan for my handle thickness, for safety reasons.

and i'm with the ignore the twist crowd  :D