Author Topic: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival  (Read 36287 times)

Offline Dvshunter

Re: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2020, 08:48:58 am »

I found this wonderfull picture of Jerry If anyone was wondering what he looked like.

I hope Bowed doesn't mind me sharing this picture of him in his buckskins.

I shaped the tips up that I glued on last night and needed to steak the top limb one more time with a heat gun before I tiller some more.

Sassafras has the best smell when you work it or heat it.

Bonarra and Ryan, those profiles look sweet.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2020, 09:08:47 am »
OK, got a good, strong cup of tea in me and I think I can say something coherent.  Maybe.

Great thread, you guys.  I come here just for the inspiration, sometimes.  It's amazing what some of you accomplish.  Russell (two Ss, two Ls, just like the street I grew up on), good on ya for chasing that ring!  Hope it makes a bow.

I've been working on tillering my very first bow build, a 53" ntn oak board bow for my daughter. Pyramid style; backed with linen canvas, going for 20#@ 20".   The board was somewhat marginal, but I can't get to the lumber store for a better one.  Thus the backing.   

I put a very small, longitudinal crack down one of the limbs when roughing it out, working with cruddy tools.  Planning to give that spot a wrap of linen once it's tillered.  I have it to 20# at 15" so far.  It has a pretty decent hinge on the top limb, so I'm slowly rasping down the stiff spots.  A couple times it has made a scary *tick sound when I've strung it.  Should that scare me, or par for the course?

Not sure if I achieved coherence or not.  Maybe another cup of tea.

Have a great weekend, my friends!  Thomas
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2020, 09:22:48 am »
Glad you posted those pictures Dave.That one of Jerry is great.   :D
Behind Ed's left elbow I see Rob and in the back ,looking past the right elbow,there's Eric.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2020, 09:37:00 am »
ugh, of course i wake up with a hurting back, stiff shoulder, blisters galore, and a bad headache. time to get Tylenol out
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2020, 09:41:00 am »
ugh, of course i wake up with a hurting back, stiff shoulder, blisters galore, and a bad headache. time to get Tylenol out
Except for the blisters, those are my morning vital signs and breakfast...  ;)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2020, 09:43:23 am »
Except for the blisters, those are my morning vital signs and breakfast...  ;)

Ah, to be a kid again...I can still do most of the things I did at 25, but I hurt a lot more the next day.   ;D
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2020, 09:59:23 am »
yeah im not worried about the other stuff but what worries me is my back. about a year ago i broke my back and we didnt get it checked out (untill this year) so i wrestled with a partially slipping disk and a fracture. then detassled, and then wrestled again. i just gotta watch how my back is feeling.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2020, 10:01:52 am »
Yeah, you have to take care of those structural body parts.  You're going to  need those later.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2020, 10:23:59 am »
Yeah Russell, take care of your back. You'll thank yourself for doing so in the years to come. Bownarra & Ryan those profiles do look excellent. Dave, those tips are shaping up nicely. Dave, also thanks for starting this thread. It's great to follow along. Time for me to start making yeller shavings.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2020, 10:27:13 am »
Here it is right off the caul.

Taking a break to do some other things around the house, but I"ll be checking in.

Thanks Steve, I"ll be it gets pretty busy tonight to.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2020, 10:28:50 am »
Bow is looking very good Ryan. I got my splices cut and rain started. Its cold and wet up here today.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 10:32:31 am by PEARL DRUMS/PEARLY/PD/DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2020, 10:34:10 am »
Looking good Dave. I think with a little more effort you could have it better off the caul, but still not bad.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2020, 10:40:35 am »
Everybody's kickin arse today, love it. Stuck at work but will git into somethin when i git home.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2020, 10:50:06 am »
I wrapped this one up 4-5 days ago. Im dropping weight in my old age and needed a lighter bow. It 42 @ 29, 64" ntn. Holds a solid 3.5" of reflex and shoots lovely with a bare string.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 10:54:23 am by PEARL DRUMS/PEARLY/PD/DRUMS »

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2020, 10:58:19 am »
Woof! Thats just sweet buddy... I'm sure you notice that i tried to copy that signature Pearly grip   ;D
DevilsBeachSelfbows