Author Topic: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival  (Read 36370 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 2020 Virtual Bowmaking Festival
« Reply #315 on: April 07, 2020, 07:04:11 pm »
Thats got just a touch of wiggle to it, like your corn rows :)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #316 on: April 07, 2020, 07:46:49 pm »
The rows are longer that way.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #317 on: April 07, 2020, 07:58:57 pm »
Just got back from some fly fishing in a cheating lake. You always get at least 3 fish there so it's nice to go to when I'm not catching anything.

I have been working my muscles that I use to pull the bow back, and now it's way more comfortable to pull the bow back. I was really overbowed. Now, not as much.

Gonna go tie some flies now.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #318 on: April 07, 2020, 08:09:51 pm »
hmm, i seemed to have misplaced my kit...
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #319 on: April 07, 2020, 08:12:55 pm »
put a birch handle wrapped with sinew on this static. snake shed back

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #320 on: April 07, 2020, 09:07:08 pm »
Mighty pretty, Paul!  Russell, you remind me:  Mrs. Badger got me a fly tying kit for Christmas...Now where did I put it???
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #321 on: April 07, 2020, 09:12:43 pm »
Good looking handle and bow Paul.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #322 on: April 07, 2020, 10:05:03 pm »
HERE I AM PAUL!

I got tied up at work installing a new walk in cooler. It was one of those, everything that could go wrong did jobs. It's still not quite right. I think I'll have to replace the new TEV.
So once I got home on Saturday my parts finally came in for my mower. Well most of them. So I set in to tearing it apart and repairing it. Still had more to fix but it would mow so I finally got my grass cut here around my house. It was only about 18 inches tall. Had a lot of limbs from recent storms to clean up also. I sill had about 3 more acres to mow. Late Saturday night the rest of my parts finally showed up (9pm) so I done my normal spring maintenance on my mower and when I started it the exhaust was suddenly really loud. The top of the muffler busted open. So I took it back apart and got my Welder out and carefully welded it back up. It almost completely ripped the top off of the muffler. Reinstalled and now it's working great! So since I was already nasty from that job I decided to go ahead and mow the other 3 acres. Lots of trees and leaves and pecan and hickory shells, dusty as hell!
Worked 11 hours on Monday and was off today, decided to try to get all my weedeating done, well not before I had to work on the weedeater for 3 hours. Finally works good now and I got it all weedeated. Now my back is killing me and I'm tired as hell. But I'm back on top of my yard, with the weather the way it has been I'm only about 2 weeks behind.

I finally read through the thread, man what a turn out! It felt like old times on PA! New blood and old friends all at the same place and time. I could see everyone's faces and hear their voice as I read through the post. I guess I could have done like ol BJ and took pictures of my mower!
I don't have any recent pics from bows but I'll try to put a couple up from a bow I made Andy from feathers&woods.
Hope to get in on the fun this weekend if everything works out this time.
GREAT TO SEE EVERYONE!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #323 on: April 07, 2020, 10:43:53 pm »
OK guys, here is a few pictures of some older work.

Some of you may remember the plains Indian style quiver I made a couple of years ago. Well I said I probably would not make another one but...
Mrs. Laura, Eric's wife, twisted my arm and I made this on especially for her.

The other pics are of "Fat Boy" I normally don't name bows but this one had to have a name.
I made this for Andy, and I'll say he was a pain in the butt! I normally don't break many bows but if I recall I broke at least 4 bows in the process of turning out this bow for him. Dang lefties!
Sorry I don't have a braced picture.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #324 on: April 07, 2020, 10:46:06 pm »
Some more...

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #325 on: April 07, 2020, 10:50:02 pm »
My version of bladed fades, I really like how they came out and I think I will be incorporating them into future bows. I'm getting really bad about not taking pictures of much unless it's for someone at one of our gatherings.

Patrick

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #326 on: April 08, 2020, 02:56:58 am »
Good to hear from you Pat.Looks like your staying busy and healthy.Like the bow and hand stitched quiver.I think I remember that guy shooting that bow at Mo Jam.Liked your hand stitched holsters and knife sheaths too previously.From farther up north here it seems the spring is coming on sooner and sooner every year or at least the grass needs a mowing earlier anyway.The more toys one has for himself the more work it is a fixing them but it makes a fella a jack of all trades anyway.Good feeling in that.
Long ago when I put up my own hides to sale I had a chance to buy a walk in cooler from a farmer/retiring fur buyer and be an independent fur buyer myself since I knew all about grading fur of all the animals anyway.It could keep those overrun boughten beaver carcasses hard as a rock [-60 F.]Along with his whole ramada of frames and fleshing machines and knives too.$5000.00.It was a good deal.A lot of time consuming work though being an independent fur buyer and decided my fall row crop work and coon hunting hobby I loved was enough time consuming the way it was.Along with my buckskinning hobby and making things in the dead of the winter.A person gets too many hobbies you can't do justice to them all.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 03:15:34 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #327 on: April 08, 2020, 07:24:31 am »
Ed, it sounds like you you have a lot of hobbies as well brother! You are right about the jack of all trades thing. I can't think of anything that was worth fixing that I haven't either fixed or tried to fix anyways.
That reminds me, I have some hides in my freezer that could use some attention.
Well not today, off to work.

Patrick

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #328 on: April 08, 2020, 07:39:26 am »
Looking good Pat-Rick. The quiver is bad azz.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #329 on: April 08, 2020, 08:06:33 am »
Hey great to see you Patrick. You know I slept so good last night I didn’t even here you snoring buddy.
I’d like to see pictures of the walk in cooler job.

That’s a very nice looking bow and quiver.

I know this one has some wiggle but the string should go through center of handle.

Ground is Still a little tacky. Don’t know if it will dry enough to plant today or not. Got lots of other stuff to do anyway. I did check with a string line. Handle is in the vice. I think it’ll work.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise