Author Topic: Is this a bobcat?  (Read 2863 times)

Offline EdwardS

Is this a bobcat?
« on: April 03, 2020, 03:24:16 pm »
This guy visited today.  Picture does not show his size well.  Stride length an average of 23" and paw print 2.5" wide.  Bout 25% larger than our biggest cat.  We have 5 cats, three indoor/outdoor.  This guy is big enough to put a hurtin' on any of them.  He didn't like me, either.  Is he gonna be a problem?

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Is this a bobcat?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 03:53:00 pm »
could be a bobcat/house cat hybrid 

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 03:56:53 pm »
could be a bobcat/house cat hybrid

edit: by that i mean he looks to have some traits in his head and patterning that look like a house cat, but he seams a bit bigger than any we had and he's got the short tail.
but i'm no expert he might be within norms for bobcats

Offline JEB

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 04:08:55 pm »
To me it looks like it has the head of a fox. Cats have flat faces.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 05:25:26 pm »
A big house cat that got his tail stuck in the screen door ;D

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 09:00:07 pm »
yeah I'm pretty sure that is just a large feral housecat. Coloration is all wrong for a bobcat.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 10:37:41 pm »
This is a biiiiig housecat then.  Not doubting you, just doing the math on paw size and stride length.  I'll keep a watch out for him.  Our big boy is a lover, not a fighter, even though he's 15 pounds of solid muscle.  His father is eight pounds of I will end your entire family line.  I fear for both, but for different reasons.

We try to bring the cats in at night because of the unleashed dog problem, but this is just a new issue.  We have a feral hog, three or four unleashed dogs, a forty-plus pound real bobcat, and now this spicy fellow.  I'm getting about set to spend the night out with a full quiver and some cookies and solve some neighborhood problems.  We've already had a cat come home with it's tail half torn off.  This neighborhood got rough after quarantine started, at least if you're an animal.  People leaving their dogs to scrounge for whatever they can find is both cruel and dangerous, but here we are.

I'm already feeding the neighbor's cats.  I can't afford to feed their dogs and they will attack people.  They're so either hungry or wild they even attacked the neighbor's donkey.  We're not in the city limits and the county is stretched to the limit.  I don't want to lose another cat to dogs or anything else.  They're not replaceable.

Thanks guys, will take this information to my landlord and discuss a plan. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 08:08:51 am »
Looks like a big, bobtail Tom cat to me.
I see bobcats all the time and I've never seen one with that color pattern.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 10:15:12 am »
This is a biiiiig housecat then.  Not doubting you, just doing the math on paw size and stride length.  I'll keep a watch out for him.  Our big boy is a lover, not a fighter, even though he's 15 pounds of solid muscle.  His father is eight pounds of I will end your entire family line.  I fear for both, but for different reasons.

We try to bring the cats in at night because of the unleashed dog problem, but this is just a new issue.  We have a feral hog, three or four unleashed dogs, a forty-plus pound real bobcat, and now this spicy fellow.  I'm getting about set to spend the night out with a full quiver and some cookies and solve some neighborhood problems.  We've already had a cat come home with it's tail half torn off.  This neighborhood got rough after quarantine started, at least if you're an animal.  People leaving their dogs to scrounge for whatever they can find is both cruel and dangerous, but here we are.

I'm already feeding the neighbor's cats.  I can't afford to feed their dogs and they will attack people.  They're so either hungry or wild they even attacked the neighbor's donkey.  We're not in the city limits and the county is stretched to the limit.  I don't want to lose another cat to dogs or anything else.  They're not replaceable.

Thanks guys, will take this information to my landlord and discuss a plan.

At my place in Tennessee before moving out to Montana I had a problem Bobcat. he kept taking guineas and chickens, just leaving prints.  I set traps for him for a few nights and finally caught him in a large live trap. It was a feral housecat. It was so large I had to weigh it to be sure, it was 28 pounds. Tabby cat that was larger than some Bobcat I have trapped.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 01:10:06 pm »
Another vote for a monster tom cat. When they are left to roam wild they can get huge. Not to mention the cances of a bobcat knowingly walking past you like that in the daylight are one in millions.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JEB

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 02:50:03 pm »
Look guys. Am I seeing things or does that critter have a longer pointed nose on it?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 03:30:10 pm »
Its garfield
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 12:13:40 am »
Looks like a big feral cat to me.  I am working on a quiver that will have that same pattern  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 06:17:16 am »
Many years ago like 40 or 50 the fur buyer used to give any wheres' from 2 to 5 dollars for nice colored feral cats.The tabby colored ones brought the most.I've seen some very big ones before too.
Nowadays with fur prices being down so much feral cats are every where here.We personally on the farm have around 15 to 20 of them we feed.We keep them around to keep the mice at bay.They do their job well.
Before them I had problems of mice chewing lots of things that cost me a fair amount of money to replace.
A funny story with a good ending somewhat.......Before cats living here mice had the run of the place.I had traps everywhere.Including in my vehicles.Even in the glove compartments.Disgusting!!!
One time I went to start my pick up.It started but would'nt stay idiling good.Very odd as it was a good runner.I got it going steady by feathering the gas pedal,but it still would'nt stay idling.
So I raced the engine a bit.After around 3 to 4 minutes I'd say I heard this whistling sound of various tones coming from underneath my truck.I stayed with it keeping it running,figuring there was something plugging the muffler.There was a point when it barely could stay running when all of a sudden a huge KA-BANG came from underneath the truck.At that moment the truck started idling normally but with straight pipes.
I backed up to see what blew out from my truck.Here there was a ball of congealed dog food in a ball laying there along with my muffler.Apparently the mice had horded and packed my muffler with dog food.The only way they could do that is to steal it from the dogs pans.
The pick up was fine yet.
Anyway when an old feral mother cat started hanging around here I started feeding her.She tamed easily.One heck of a hunter.Seen her with cotton tailed rabbits taken to her kittens.It is from her and her 5th and 6th generations of cats that we now still have cats and NO mice problems.
The End.
On a side note though those feral cats are very hard on our quail and pheasant populations.They catch song birds regularly at the bird feeder too.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 06:25:47 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 09:39:09 am »
I see what you are talking about, JEB. I blew made the picture larger and I think it is just a patch of lighter colored grass.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?