Author Topic: Ya'll are giving me the itch...  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Ya'll are giving me the itch...
« on: April 03, 2020, 07:04:28 pm »
I haven't built a smoke pole in about 20 years. Who is the name to know in custom locks and barrels these days?
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Ya'll are giving me the itch...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 07:31:35 am »
He only has two styles of locks, late English and early German but there are no better out there, everything CNC machined for a perfect fit and function. Kibler

Chambers is next in line for locks, lots of styles. Of course there is Davis and L&R but not near the quality of a Chambers. M&G get pretty good reviews plus there is one guy starting to build locks comparable to Kibler but doesn't have them on the market yet.

Barrels, Rice is the most popular, nice barrels. Green Mountain makes really good barrels but only straight, none swamped. If Green Mountain made swamped barrels i would buy theirs over a Rice, they use regular gun barrel steel instead of the leaded steel all the others use.

Colerain is OK, they come with a fitted breech plug that may or may not be breeched properly, a Rice breechplug is always fitted perfectly, Green Mountain don't come with a plug.

You are going to get sticker shock when you look into parts costs now.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 11:46:52 am »
Thanks!  I've been out of the know for some years. I went to school to be a gunsmith, machinist. Worked with one part time for a few years who specialized in Class 3 SOT stuff but his passion was black powder. We spent MANY afternoons and weekends challenging the limits of black powder rifles. As such, I've built every one I've ever had from scratch.  If memory serves, Lothar Walther also makes black powder barrels, or used to. Not sure how they compare but their regular rifle barrels are exceptional. I think they have several military contracts for barrels.  I have had passing thoughts of building another long distance BP rifle for some time for NRA comp but never got around to it.  Maybe it's time. I have the ability and machinery to build anything I need here at the shop but I've never built a lock. Like actions I prefer to buy them and do the refining work at home.  A Tennessee mountain rifle would be what I want, being as that is my home.  If you guys have any extra parts and pieces laying around PM me, I'm sure I could use them to start a horde to get one together.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 12:02:32 pm »
He only has two styles of locks, late English and early German but there are no better out there, everything CNC machined for a perfect fit and function. Kibler

Chambers is next in line for locks, lots of styles. Of course there is Davis and L&R but not near the quality of a Chambers. M&G get pretty good reviews plus there is one guy starting to build locks comparable to Kibler but doesn't have them on the market yet.

Barrels, Rice is the most popular, nice barrels. Green Mountain makes really good barrels but only straight, none swamped. If Green Mountain made swamped barrels i would buy theirs over a Rice, they use regular gun barrel steel instead of the leaded steel all the others use.

Colerain is OK, they come with a fitted breech plug that may or may not be breeched properly, a Rice breechplug is always fitted perfectly, Green Mountain don't come with a plug.

You are going to get sticker shock when you look into parts costs now.

Kibler makes some nice parts! had a look at his website and sent an email with some questions.

Offline Handforged

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 12:29:07 pm »
I have some designs for fittings in a notebook somewhere that I would likely forge myself. Something a little more personal I guess to make them. As I have never made a lock, Kibler looks like a good piece. Barrel/breech plug and trigger assembly will have to be sourced. I think I still have contact info for a guy in Pennsylvania that makes stocks. If I remember correctly they aren't cheap but far beyond what most would consider "extra fancy" and he owes me a favor. He made a stock for a target Ruger No.1 that I built several years back and it was one of the nicest pieces of wood I have ever held in my hands.