Author Topic: Bad aiming or 90% of arrows too heavy spine?  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Bad aiming or 90% of arrows too heavy spine?
« on: April 03, 2020, 07:44:41 pm »
First off, im left handed and new to making and shooting bows.
I know your form and good release Plays a huge role in where you hit. But most of my fletched arrows keep hitting the right side of the target, a few miss to the right and a few straight in the middle.
I dont have a spine tester but bare shafted Them  till they atleast hit the target ( first shooting experience so couldnt expect to keep hitting the bullseye over and over).
The arrows hit the target in groups. 
Can It be that the spine of all arrows is a bit too heavy or do i need to adust the way i aim?
By the way, i aim 'instinctivly" and sometimes with splitvision

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Bad aiming or 90% of arrows too heavy spine?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 12:46:08 am »
Hit or miss, are they hitting the target straight on?  If not, it is likely a spine problem.  If they are all hitting straight on more or less, it probably an aiming and/or a form problem.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 04:45:26 am »
What do you mean with straight on? Like not throwing the nock left or right?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 05:02:23 am »
Adjust the way u are aiming for now..as u gain more experience,,,u will get better at telling what arrows are working best,,.hold your bow with a loose grip...it will allow u to shoot a wider range of spine

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 08:36:38 am »
Are they fishtailing? No don't adjust how you are aiming? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline smoke

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 08:41:41 am »
If you have points that are 50 or more grains heavier than what you now have on your arrows - stick a few on and see what happens.  Increasing the point weight will lower you dynamic spine.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 08:45:59 am »
If you don't have properly spined arrows bare shaft tuning doesn't do anything. You can make a simple spine tester by resting the shafts on 2 blocks or 2 nails in the side of your work bench at 26" apart and hang a weight(2# mol) in the center of each shaft and measure the deflection. They should all bend the same distance. Measure with a ruler. It will only be a slight difference between difference spines.
If you have arrows that shoot well(where you are looking) compare the others to them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 09:42:05 am »
I have the 2 nails already but i tried It but didn't get matching shafts  ( in where they hit) but It was with one of the first arrows i made and shot maybe should retry it

Offline bambule

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 05:45:05 am »
it is hard to give an advice... :-)
Normally I have to take a look at how you shoot.

There are some "principles":

1. If you have the right technology, you can say, hitting left or right is a problem with your technology. If you´re hitting up an down you don`t practise enough because you don`t have the "eye" for the distance  ;)

2. If you don`t have an established technic there a lot of mistakes you can make. The most I`ve seen are problems with the release. Aiming, twisting the bow, arrows to long, to hard or weak, walking in the drawlenght, Fletching too high or too short etc are also probs.

The arrow is a high complex construct so there is not only one answer  ::)

Greetz
Cord
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 05:51:31 am by bambule »
Niedersachsen, Germany

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 06:04:47 am »
If you are shooting the arrows you posted in the arrows section, they are too stiff. I can tell by looking at them. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2020, 07:34:20 am »
If they are too stiff,,.sand one till it shoots,.make the others match

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2020, 08:09:29 am »
Thanks for the advise, making Them thinner atm.
Fletch too high could also be It because i didn't trim alot off. I dont think i twist the string because i used a wooden hook release now because after a few shots i seen blood colour under my skin after a few shots

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 10:48:37 am »
  If I were you the first thing I would do is learn the simple process of measuring spine and then learn how to adjust spine as you tune your arrows. I mostly use cut in shelves, not all the way to center but for a 50# bow with a 29" arrow and 125 grain point 50# spine seems to work pretty well for me.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 11:00:16 am »
What do you mean with straight on? Like not throwing the nock left or right?
Correct!  There should be a metric spine chart available, as well, but you can mark the bend in your best arrow and then match the rest to it.  The 2# weight is probably about 970 grams or so.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry