Author Topic: Rookie  (Read 5043 times)

Offline J. DEMPLER

• It ain't knappin' if you ain't bleedin'
Rookie
« on: June 02, 2008, 01:46:38 pm »
I started knapping about a month ago. I am having problems flaking all the way to the center of my arrowheads. Anybody have any advise for a rookie? Also, anybody know if there is a "knap-in" in southern Indiana any time soon? 
There is a place for all of Gods creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Madison, Indiana

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Re: Rookie
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 03:29:01 pm »
Its all in the mechanics, watch some videos, but the best is some one on one with a good napper and than lots of practice.
 I should also add, your tools are important too, be it antler, stone, wood, or copper, make them nice and take care of them, picking the right tool at the right point in the manufacture of your point is key.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 04:44:48 pm by leapingbare »
Mililani Hawaii

Offline J. DEMPLER

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 09:08:46 pm »
Its all in the mechanics, watch some videos, but the best is some one on one with a good napper and than lots of practice.
 I should also add, your tools are important too, be it antler, stone, wood, or copper, make them nice and take care of them, picking the right tool at the right point in the manufacture of your point is key.
Thanks for the info. There is not very many people in my area that I know of who knapps. I just started working with a guy when he got sick and passed away. Hopefully there is a knap-in comming up in my area that I can go to. What type of tool do you prefer to use on flint? I got some rock from a creek in my area I believe is flint. It is brown on the outside, and a white color on the inside, and very hard. I tried to cook it in a fire last weekend. I put it in about 3 inches of sand and built a fire on it. I still can't do anything with it!
There is a place for all of Gods creatures, right next to the potatoes and gravy.

Madison, Indiana

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 09:16:42 am »
Get some books, also. Everything in them may not make sense at first, but after reading and whacking, then reading again, it'll all start coming together. D.C. Waldorf's The Art of Flintknapping and Bob Patton's Old Tools, New Eyes are two of the better ones out there.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 09:39:52 am »
That's it - books, videos, perseverance. You can find knappins online, go to flintknapping site..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline J. DEMPLER

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 10:26:52 am »
Thanks for all the help guys, I am going to start looking for those books and also some videos. I made a arrowhead last night out of obsidian. I almost got my flakes to go to the center of it. Maybe after a couple tons of rock I will get the hang of it!

Madison, Indiana

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 10:39:07 am »
Hopefully there is a knap-in comming up in my area that I can go to.

Ask and ye shall recieve:  :)

June 13-15. Southern Indiana flint Knap-in. Come and hang out with us on the banks of mighty Ohio river in the small town of Leavenworth Indiana. The knap-in is held in town park right on the Ohio rive.   It is a great show with a lot of rock and a lot knapping talent. ten camping on spot  small pop up camper limited space first come first serve . $10.00 fee for camping  starting thru till Sunday night. All knapper must be out park by Monday June 16. $25.00 FEE WILL BE REQUIRED OF ALL VENDOR.  FOR MORE INFO CALL ERICS ROCKS. 1-812-968-4615  CELL. 1-812-739-2358 HOME. rock1966_2000@yahoo.com

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline J. DEMPLER

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 10:54:18 am »
Thanks Hillbilly for the info. That is only about 1- 1/2 hours from my house. Looking forward to going!!

Madison, Indiana

Minuteman

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 01:08:41 pm »
Heres another one you might be interested in attending;

http://www.heartlandbowjam.info/

Its not solely knapping but I know there'll be some folks there breakin rock. Its in July , check out the site!

I've been to the Leavenworth one years ago and theres alotta rock being broken there thats for sure.
 Where are you? Columbus, Seymour?

Offline J. DEMPLER

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 01:25:59 pm »
Thanks for the link, Minuteman. I'll check it out. I'm from the Madison area.What about you? Where are you from?

Madison, Indiana