Author Topic: Fixing lateral bend?  (Read 876 times)

Offline Likemp

Fixing lateral bend?
« on: April 07, 2020, 03:01:17 pm »
One of the limbs on the BL pyramid bow I am working on starts swinging off the right (or left depending on which way you look at it) about halfway down the limb, ending with the tip being off center by a bit over an inch.  Whats the best way to correct this? Are there more benefits to using dry heat or steam for fixing such a bend? I'm probably over thinking this.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Fixing lateral bend?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 03:24:37 pm »
Heat up the area right where it starts to bend with your heat gun, maybe a few minutes on high over a 4" area. Over bend it by about 10-15% and it should pop right in there where you want it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 03:38:51 pm »
+2   BL reacts well with heat correction.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 05:04:58 pm »
For example.the cloth is wet to protect the back from reflected heat.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 07:04:56 pm »
Perfect pic bushy.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 10:19:51 pm »
I am going to try that setup on a couple of staves I had given up on.  It looks simple but effective. 

Offline Likemp

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 08:12:08 am »
Ya, that setup looks a bit better than what I jury-rigged.  But I got it done! Thanks for the quick responses, a little bacon grease and some time with the heat gun got it nice and straight.  I like how you have it clamped down flat and then pull it sideways to avoid twisting, as opposed to hanging weights, which I had a hell of time trying to counter its attempt to twist.  Thanks!!