Author Topic: Rose Arrow  (Read 1747 times)

Black Moshannon

Rose Arrow
« on: April 06, 2020, 09:40:07 am »
Here is a wild rose arrow I finished today. I make them one at a time, in a leisurely fashion. Shoot arrows warp over time so I look over mine before I go out to shoot and straighten as needed. I've had a few that have never warped. This one is 713 grains, and 11/32 diameter. The turkey fletching has a wrap through of dogbane, which I've taken to using instead of artificial sinew, and glued with hide glue. I use a hot hacksaw blade to trim the fletching. The broadhead is made from a heavy grade steel spoon, which work great, and sharpen to a razor edge beautifully. It's held on with sinew and hide glue. Most of my arrows look exactly like or similar to this one. For everyday practice, I use antler blunts, but I do shoot broadheads at boxes filled with rags.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Rose Arrow
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 10:41:07 am »
Like all bow and arrow wood well seasoned wood(shoots) are more stable and seem to warp less and stay straight. Also, tempering shoots will help keep them straight. I do this tempering after I've straightened them by slowly rotating them over a flame while slowly working down the shoot. A slight discoloration seem to be enough. Be careful as you reach the far end. Steam will be forced out and can really burn you. Don't ask how I know.  ;)
While they cool lay them on a flat surface. You may have to do a little hand straightening after they cool but I've never had any trouble doing this.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 11:05:26 am »
Ahh!  Live and learn!  Experience is the best teacher - if you survive! >:D
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Black Moshannon

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 11:07:54 am »
I've had the idea to try something like that, but I was always afraid it would somehow permanently warp or damage the shaft. Can't wait to try it, on my very next one. I season the shafts for a year at least, generally, before working on them. I know they don't all need that long, but I have a lot on hand. Thanks for sharing that.