Author Topic: striped maple as a bow wood?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline slowbowjoe

striped maple as a bow wood?
« on: April 07, 2020, 06:31:28 pm »
Felling trees for firewood today; dropped a couple of 4" or so striped maple in the process. How's it for bows? these are fairly smooth and straight, and look like I could get a stave or two out of 'em.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: striped maple as a bow wood?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 08:23:36 pm »
If we are thinking of the same northern tree that we called "moose wood" in Maine, I think you will find it very soft, about like willow.

OTOH, I don't know anyone who has tried it, so why not at least make some staves and see what they are like when they are dry??
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 08:27:29 pm »
looked it up on wood data base and it's considered a soft maple, but hardness isn't everything, pic a couple premium staves and see how they do.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 10:01:01 pm »
I’m always up for testing out woods I’ve never tried and many will never even attempt.

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 10:20:07 pm »
I tried ,and failed 4 times with soft red Maple. I finally gave up with that wood. May be your wood is better in tension,and compression. Give it a shot.

Offline slowbowjoe

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 06:48:56 am »
I'm in northern Vermont, couple miles from the Quebec border... I think it's also called moose wood. It is pretty soft. Soft maple is a different tree, and I've heard it's not too good.I'll split out a stave or two and see how it looks, just won't get attached to it.
Found a couple hop hornbeam in the same area I'm cutting, and will probably save a length on one of those for staves. Easiest to de-bark the hardwoods around here more like May or June, isn't it?

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 07:08:51 am »
 It is a very soft Maple.  Definitely the same tree as Moosewood.

Offline slowbowjoe

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 07:46:31 am »
Doesn't sound too promising now that I think about it. Think I'll hold out for the hornbeam, and there's a bunch of ash I'm looking at also. I have a couple of ash staves from last year that I got to floor tiller... mostly for practice, as I found some troublesome knots along the way. Still trying for my first functional bow (other than a couple little kids sticks).