Author Topic: My vice wont hold stuff well  (Read 2078 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: My vice wont hold stuff well
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 11:09:46 pm »
I made some magnetic vise pads with rare earth magnets for my old vise.  My current vise is bigger and was missing the jaw pads when I bought it.  I made some out of oak and glued thick leather to them.  They are mounted to the vise with machine screws.  I've been using them for several years now.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Hans H

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 01:53:36 am »
you also can fix old shoe sole`s in the vice, that works
Hans
Hans,      Bavaria, Germany

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 07:50:34 am »
If you can make some of these to fit your vise your problems will be solved, easy on, easy off. I make them out whatever scrap I have on hand, the ones in the picture are poplar, they cracked, my latest ones are 3/4" plywood.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 07:53:54 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline gifford

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 10:18:10 am »
That looks like the wood bow holders I made for my vice years ago, 25 or so. I used a couple of scraps of some carpeting I had to pad the wood faces. Heavy duty plywood works best, imho. I used the 3/4 inch plywood from my left-over pile.

It has worked splendidly all these years although I replace the carpet a few years ago. Most any kind of carpet would work but indoor outdoor or short nap carpet.

With the padding you can really crank the handle down and stave holds firmly in place.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2020, 01:54:42 pm »
The bottom picture is one I made at least 10 years ago that is still in use, I used very thick leather to face it. I used drywall screws in the top to hold it down and barge cement to glue the rest of it to the plywood.