Author Topic: Oak Stave  (Read 787 times)

Offline PatrickH

Oak Stave
« on: April 08, 2020, 02:29:58 pm »
So... I have been an off and on Primitive Archer message board follower for a long time (at least a decade, I think almost 2 lol) anyway. I have been doing mostly board bows. I have a few hunting weight and light target weight flatbows. I am a grad student but being out of college for the quarantine I have been spending a lot more time in the woods. I cut a white oak stave today and sealed up the ends and threw it in my attic. I didn't really want to go with oak (nothing wrong with it but I have done a ton of red oak board bows), but all the Ash trees around here (west Michigan) are suffering from the Emerald borer beetle and I didn't want to contribute to their loss, and I couldn't find any elms, birch is pretty light, poplar is way too light. So I went with a stave of white oak (we have plenty of those around here.) I am going to split it tomorrow to help it season faster, maybe rough out the width dimensions while its green to speed up the drying process. I was thinking of making a hunting bow for deer and small game, doing a Holmegaard bow design sounded fun (I have never made one) but I see mostly they are being used for flight shooting (or so it seems) anybody have any advice on Holmegaard designs for hunting  bows? I have read the TBB books 1-4 religiously for quite awhile (more reading than making unfortunately) and have them as reference. Any advice would be welcome. thanks in advance.
Muskegon Mi.

Offline willie

Re: Oak Stave
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 04:39:44 pm »
Looking forward to seeing what you build. Nothing wrong with white oak. any sugar/rock maple around? from what I have heard. elm grows but doesn't get too big before it dies off. Hope a michiganlander can offfer more info on that.

Variety within a species might make you want to choose your stave trees for quality. sometimes growing conditions matters more than species.

Offline bassman

Re: Oak Stave
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 08:29:10 pm »
Don't count Birch out either. Been building bows out it in the last 6 months. I have built a couple really good shooters out of it. It is soft and dings easily , but with heat can make a good hunting bow. Mine are around 45 lbs. give or take. If you have access to Walnut  that can make a good self bow also.