Author Topic: Honeysuckle  (Read 847 times)

Offline NewBowyer

Honeysuckle
« on: April 12, 2020, 07:20:50 am »
I cut a 7' piece of honeysuckle, the only one I've seen that's this long and thick. No kinks or knots, but it does have a gradual, smooth arc throughout its length. I'm wondering if I should clamp it straight while it's drying in hopes that it ends up straighter when it's dry, or let it dry as is and just work with the natural bend. Also wondering which side should be the back- I'd like to use the natural curve for "reflexed" limbs, but might it put too much tension on the back by forcing it to bend the opposite way it grew?

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Honeysuckle
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 07:30:29 am »
My experience with honeysuckle is it will check real bad if you don’t seal the ends or even the belly if you rough out a stave.  It’s a real nice wood to work and makes a fine bow.  I wouldn’t worry about tension failure unless you violate the fibers.

Offline NewBowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 09:13:50 am »
Will Kilz work to seal the ends and/or belly? I've also seen guys just spray paint the cut ends- does that work ok? I know I have some dumb questions but I'm brand new at this.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 10:16:48 am »
i would seal with wood glue or some other thick type of sealer. if you're able to cutting it in winter will remove most of the checking issues.

i would use the reflexed side as your back, iv'e built honeysuckle bows with a good bit more natural reflex than you have there and they worked fine  :) just tiller carefully in my experience high crowned staves can drop weight quicker than you think if you're not ready for it.