Author Topic: Cooking jerky  (Read 7276 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Cooking jerky
« on: December 04, 2018, 05:49:33 pm »
Does anyone else cook their jerky before marinating?  I cook mine at 225 degrees for 20 minutes.  It just barely browns the meat and gets a lot of the blood out of it.  I think it allows it to soak up more marinade.  Since I started doing this it seems it dehydrates faster too.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Cooking jerky
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 06:26:43 pm »
Sounds good ....I'll have to give it a try. I  ;D ::)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 10:12:48 pm »
Have to try that!  May smoke it at 225, then marinade, then smoke some more!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline backwoodsguy

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 08:47:37 am »
Though this is an older post, I wanted to add my two cents. I've considered myself a health conscious person. I've only left my property twice in the last three months, once to turn in my income tax and once to cash the stimulus check. Covid-19 conscious, no one can come into my house. Just last week I ate a piece of my homemade jerky dated 7-4-2019 (10 months old) and didn't get sick.. Today, I went to the CDC website to read about jerky safety and discovered that in fact, they recommend precooking it to at least 165 degrees before dehydrating and that it only should have a two month shelf life. Oops, now I'll try precooking it and eating it faster.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 10:04:24 am »
I dry marinaded my batch, then smoked it with wood smoked, bagged it and put it in the freezer!  Smoking temp was about 200F.  Still got some n the freezer, I doubt very much it has gone bad.  Seems to me pre-cooking, then cooling to marinade it, would be a bit risky with the extra handling, but getting it back over 200F may take care of any hazard.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 01:17:12 pm »
I never use fresh meat, only frozen. It seems to bleed better after freezing. I marinade for 4 - 5 days many times. Put a bunch n 1 gallon ziploc bags and pull out of the fridge once or twice a day and massage the bags to mix.

I did 12 pounds of black pepper jerky a while a ago and will be back to it next year as I got a place to thin of deer and they are mountain deer eating laurel and it makes better jerky with soy/worcestershire sauce than steaks and such.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 11:30:55 pm »
Might try a batch with teriyaki sauce, too!
Hawkdance
Jerry