Author Topic: Bug damaged hickory  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Wolfmanjack

Bug damaged hickory
« on: April 08, 2020, 02:00:10 pm »
I cut a small hickory down in September, sealed the ends, left it whole with bark on and put up in my shed.  Now I’m fairly new at this so be gentle.  It looks like they kind of burrow through the cambium but I can’t tell if they violate the back.  I don’t want to waste a bunch of time debarking this thing if it’s worthless.  It was a bit of a bear to split already.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bug damaged hickory
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2020, 03:28:36 pm »
Looks to me like they got in beyond the cambium. I probably wouldn't spend time on it, but I also have plenty of options. So, its easy for me to say burn it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2020, 04:02:43 pm »
Wolfmanjack......Unfortunately that does'nt look too good.Hickory is susceptable to many things if not prepared properly to store.Post hole bugs making a very deep and very small hole and bacteria to name a couple.Above all else never store it touching the ground anywhere.
If you got more growing around there give it another try.It is very good bow wood IMO.When cut this time of year early spring the bark will pop off very easily.Then reduce it to stave size of 2" wide by 1.5" thick and date it.Shellack the back and ends and let it season up off the ground in your shed.Some pics.
Bark popped off

Reduced to stave size
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 06:40:18 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Wolfmanjack

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 04:18:23 pm »
Roger that, thanks fellas.  I have a couple pieces of American holly that I cut at the same time.  I have two bows roughed out of one log.  One I will try to “fire harden” the other I’ll keep raw to compare.  I have lots of time on my hands now with this quarantine bs.

Offline Wolfmanjack

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 04:21:50 pm »

Offline Wolfmanjack

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 04:33:44 pm »
Whoops , cooking the wrong side ther

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 04:34:25 pm »
PS...I wanted to mention that once a hickory stave is reduced to a stave and shellacked and below 15% moisture which does'nt take too long it can be stored for years on a rack in your shed without anything damaging it.Bugs will leave it alone then too.
I hope your holly is fairly dry before you put it over the coals.Otherwise it could check.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Wolfmanjack

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 04:55:13 pm »
It certainly seems very dry..  no checks yet

Offline bassman

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 05:43:09 pm »
ops cooked the wrong side. That was funny . I am still laughing.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 11:51:48 pm »
Maybe a bit late, but flip it over and make it medium rare! (=) -C- :BB >:D!  Good info, hickory does not shed it's bark easily after a wait!  Trust me! Or live and learn!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 07:34:10 am »
Another tip is to leave the satve full width through the handle area until you get it strung. Once it is strung you then shape the handle to where the string wants to naturally sit. Even on straight staves when they are strung up the could limbs bend 'off straight' and the string can then end up to one side of the handle.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 12:13:35 pm »
I've chased rings on bug eaten hickory and it worked fine. Just a lot more effort than if they didn't get to it.