Author Topic: Red osier dogwood shafts number to get right  (Read 1507 times)

Offline Stonewall3636

Red osier dogwood shafts number to get right
« on: April 08, 2020, 11:50:10 pm »
Okay success today.  I have been thinking about making a bow and arrow set for awhile.  My nephew made a bet 100 to first one that shoots any whitetail with equipment all made by themselves.  I started a my bow today.  Hoping good enough for not this season but next.
  Have a twisted stave that is now cooling with a cinder block cause it has two propeller twist.  Probably should have grabbed a different stave but this one is at least dry. 
Anyway long story short went fishing today, and realized the whole south end of an .25 acre island in the middle of the lake is all red osier dogwood.  Guess that will be my shaft material.  Pretty excited about that I think. Anyway very few fish but I did cut 45 shafts of dogwood ranging in all different sizes put up to dry and hopefully straight.  What I am trying to figure out how many shafts for 12 completed and matched arrows should I have cut? 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Red osier dogwood shafts number to get right
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 08:38:12 am »
You can never cut too many. You'll need arrows next year and the year after and they will be well seasoned by then.  Also be sure you cut mature shoots, not with just leaf or leaf scars but with small branching on them.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Red osier dogwood shafts number to get right
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 10:57:48 am »
Plus 2 with Pat B!  Get them bundled and pre-straightened, and it is easier to take the bark off while they are green, but leave 3" or so on each end to help stop checking.  Also restraighten often.  That is a nice find!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry