Author Topic: Beginner questions hope to not bug everyone.  (Read 2919 times)

Offline Stonewall3636

Beginner questions hope to not bug everyone.
« on: April 09, 2020, 12:09:04 am »
Been thinking about make a traditional bow and arrow for awhile.  Then my nephew decided he would bet me a hundred to kill the first any whitetail with equipment made completely by themselves.  That being said I am very proficient at wood work as I was a trim carpenter for several years. I am pretty confident I can make a quality product. Okay insert vague questions here.
1.  What type of bow should I be looking at making out of an ash stave.
2.  What poundage should I be shooting for?  Would think i would want to shoot less then compound to hold it.  I normally shoot 75# compound but that has 80% let off. I way 280.
3.  What length?  I am 6ft and normally draw 28" bow
4.  Is not this season but next season a likely goal?  I can shoot daily after bow is made.  Hoping to have it done in 4 weeks start to finish and with arrows made.
5.  Are red osier dogwood shaft easy enough for a beginner to build?  How good of an arrow can you make out of them?
Would I be happier with a different medium for the arrows or are these good enough.  Apparently have an awesome supply of them now that I know what I am looking at.  I know a lot of people use them.  Wasnt sure if it was, because of the supply or the quality of the end product.
Enjoyed this forum as a quest for awhile now.  Knowledge is power. You all have a blessed day and stay safe out there.
Thanks Stonewall

Offline Strelets

Re: Beginner questions hope to not bug everyone.
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 04:17:00 am »
Stonewall, on the questions of bow draw weight and length every archer will give you a different answer. If you shoot a 75lb compound you should also be able to shoot a 75lb self bow, but you will need to learn the art of coming onto aim as you complete the draw, so that you draw and shoot in one continuous motion. In 1545 Roger Ascham wrote "Holding should be brief, the sooner perceived in a man's mind than seen when 'tis done." Prolonged holding will put a wooden bow in danger of breaking. Target archers will tell you that 75lb is way too high, warbow archers will say that it is way too low. Ignore them all and shoot what seems right for you. It's better to go high rather than low on draw weight; it's easy to take a bow down in weight to get to what suits you.

With regard to bow length, it depends to some extent on what you are going to use the bow for. For steadiness of shooting, the longer the better, but anything longer than about 76 inches would be very clumsy to take round the woods. If you want to hunt from tree stands or hides then you might want something very much shorter.

Good luck and best wishes with your project.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 07:50:56 am »
Your bow should be twice your draw length + 10", more or less depending on what kind of wood you use. This formula should be about right for ash.

Forget about making a 75# bow, make one about 55# or less at your draw length. I believe the point of diminishing returns on a stick bow is 60#, you don't gain performance in relation to the poundage increase above 60# like you would below it. You can kill any normal game animal in N America with a 55# bow, if you are over bowed you will never reach your shooting potential. I started at 70# over 30 years ago and have been dropping ever since, I am at 45# now because of back and neck problems and am perfectly happy with my choice.

Speaking of draw length; you will drop and inch or two shooting a traditional bow as they compress you as you draw back. Put a yard stick on you your sternum, reach out with both hands without stretching and see where your fingertips hit the yardstick, that will be close to your traditional draw length.

Another suggestion; make a tillering gizmo as described in the how to section of this site. It is a great tool for beginning bow makers. Follow the directions to a "T" and it will work well for you.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 12:11:03 pm »
2.  What poundage should I be shooting for?  Would think i would want to shoot less then compound to hold it.  I normally shoot 75# compound but that has 80% let off. I way 280.

The target archer rule of thumb when going from compound to recurve is to start with a draw weight that is no more than twice your hold weight of your compound. In your case that works out to 30lb. That is a bit light, IMO, and I would think you could start with a ~40# bow but you would have to be mindful of working up to holding it and keeping good form or the extra weight makes it easy to collect bad habits. Yes, a 40# bow seems light but you must realize you are only holding a 15# bow at the moment. If you could borrow a recurve from a friend to try that would give you a better feel for how much weight you can currently hold.

Shooting a trad bow accurately is much harder than a compound because there are more things to screw up the shot and being overbowed is a great way to hamper learning the right way to do things.

Mark

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 08:52:06 pm »
Good advice from Eric and Mattock.  Do not over bow yourself from the get go.  40 - 55# bows (without wheels!) have taken every big game animal in North America.  Make a bow that you can shoot comfortably and accurately.  Between 40 to 50# would be ideal for the challenge that you are embarking on.  Don't equate draw weight with masculinity.  It ain't there.  And you can probably make the bow in time to use for hunting season this year. 

Going to be making the bow string, the arrow fletching and the broadheads also?  Lots of good info out there for all of it.  Good luck!!  You are on an addicting journey.

Offline Stonewall3636

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 10:35:55 pm »
Awesome and thanks.  That is about what I thought.  Going to try for 55#  can always come down. I don't think I should have an issue with that. Yes we are making everything we take except clothing.  If you can't make you dont need it scenario.  Game calls and stands included.  Think this year might be a bit tight due to everything going on and learning a new discipline.  I won't go if not proficient or not comfortable. Besides the 3 I shot this year saved us.   I have 178 acres of very private land so getting close isn't an issue so if all goes well and usual tags get punched may try by the end of the season.  Lot of stuff as to be made and made correctly to pull it off. Thank you both for a jumping off point.  I appreciate it.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 03:56:11 am »
1.  What type of bow should I be looking at making out of an ash stave.
classic piramid bow is ideal as a start

for your broadheads consider bone points. easier to make than stone points and as much as effective
or spoon trade points if your bet let you use them

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 10:28:21 am »
I know a guy who killed his first doe with a selfbow a couple of years ago. He said it was more exciting killing that doe than any buck he had killed with a compound or gun and he has a lot of kills under his belt.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 11:29:17 pm »
My advice is,,,Dont worry about any hunting or any bets until you are confident and comfortable that the bow and arrows you have made,are worthy and so are your abilities with them...It takes as long as it takes..