Author Topic: Cedar Survival Bow  (Read 1295 times)

Offline BeePrimitive

Cedar Survival Bow
« on: April 09, 2020, 01:42:39 am »
While I wait for my CM to dry, I am really itching to make a bow. I am a big fan of Clay Hayes on YouTube and I remember he built a cedar survival bow. His tree was only about 4” in diameter. He roughed it out the same day and was shooting it a couple days after.

Now, we have pretty much wiped out any cedars that are fence post size or below. We do have trees anywhere from 1’ to 4’ in diameter.

My questions are: 

Is there any advantage to using a larger tree over a smaller one?

I know that moisture in cedar is lower than other woods but can I really expect to have a bow that will last if I shoot for harvesting the tree and making it within a week or two?

I’m sorry if these are silly questions but I am really new to this!

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Cedar Survival Bow
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 06:05:25 am »
Clay Hayes used a heat box to speed up his drying process and he has a moisture meter.  I’ve made a bow from tree to bow in a month with air drying.  Build you a heat box and get a meter and start chopping. 

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 07:28:02 am »
You can use  pretty much any wood in two weeks if you rush the process. 

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 07:35:47 am »
That was a survival bow Clay built. It wasn't really made for longevity.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

bownarra

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 07:40:38 am »
Yes forget the cedar and use a medium density hardwood like ash or elm.
Reduce to floor tiller.
Dry slowly initially, drying can get more intensive as the stave dries further. Eg. once most of the moisture is out of it there is less chance of damaging the wood with heat.
You can dry it with a hotbox, a car on a sunny day, a plastic tube with a light at one end or a slow burning pit of coals etc.
If you have a set of scales weigh the stave once reduced to floor tiller. Then keep weighing it periodically. Once the rate of moisture loss has slowed you can start hitting it with heat.
If you get impatient start another one! I'd probably do 3 rough outs from different species of tree.

Offline BeePrimitive

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 08:54:41 am »
PatM, does speeding up the process with a hotbox compromise the integrity of the wood?

I do want a bow that will last so I may do what bownarra suggested and make multiple floor tillers and let them dry.

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 09:08:02 am »
No.   A steady drop in moisture is safe.    Heat  treating does a lot more to wood than quick drying in a hot box.

Offline BeePrimitive

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2020, 09:24:01 am »
Thank you, sir! I will start on that then.

I also have the opportunity to get a bunch of Osage from 2 fellow beekeepers who are clearing land for their bee yards. The one guy has 2000 acres and is trying to remove all of the Osage from an old hedgerow. All he wants in return is a bow. My brother and I are going to go out there soon to try to get some. I have never worked Osage so I am not familiar with what to look for in a tree. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Offline BeePrimitive

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 01:20:29 pm »
This is one of the medium sized cedars we have behind the house! This one is about 3’ in diameter.

https://i.imgur.com/QIh67Pu.jpg