Author Topic: Advice on natural reflex  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Piddler

Advice on natural reflex
« on: April 10, 2020, 08:03:46 pm »
Guys and Gals, Kind of a couple questions.
This is the stave with the knot in the handle that I posted about a good while back. With the knot where it was the limbs are already upper and lower. The upper has about 2" of natural reflex and the lower about 1" or a hair less. I'm at the tillering stage, actually ready to brace it since its bending pretty good. My main question is before I go any further is do I get the limbs to match by adding reflex to the lower one.
I feel the upper limb is working more than the lower when getting the bend the same. So far I'm at a about 25 lbs at 6" so I've got room to work. I have a crook on one end that I have to heat straight for alignment. Thinking about building a caul and getting the limbs same and lined up all at once with the heat gun.
The bow is 67" tip to tip and 65 1/2" knock to knock. 4" handle with 2" fades. Center mid handle. It is about 1.4" wide to mid limb then tapers to 1/2" knocks.
I have left 5" of non working tip (a bit thicker) is that too much? How much would be needed if I wanted to flip the tips a bit. Still undecided if I want to do that or not.
All advice and critics are welcome and appreciated.
Piddler
"My goal in life is to try and be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

Offline willie

Re: Advice on natural reflex
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 08:33:15 pm »
The upper has about 2" of natural reflex and the lower about 1" or a hair less

natural means the tree grew that way? or the stave dried that way?

do I get the limbs to match by adding reflex to the lower one.

you could bend the limb or tiller each limb independantly, that is not make the limbs look equall when done but have the straighter limb bend a bit more.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 03:30:10 am »
it is a lot easier to even the limbs out before tillering.
and yes, you can induce flipped tips with dry heat
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Piddler

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 05:48:54 am »
Willie,
Most of the reflex happened when I started working the stave down. It was dry by the way

Simson,
Is 5" of tips that are not working enough or too much if I don't flip them or am I just wasting workable limb by that much not moving. If I decide to flip them a bit how much would be recommended. Not planning on going full recurve.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 08:16:25 am »
Either way will work.
If you decide not to heat keep in mind that each limb has to bend the same distance. Forget about the picture perfect tiller. Once again, each limb has to bend the same distance...not even but the same distance.

Chances are the reflex will even out on its own. If not I like to make the bottom limb the stronger limb.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 10:25:23 am »
Like said above you can go either way. I like to give both limbs ever reflex by putting the bow on a reflexing caul and heating and clamping. You can also make lateral corrections at the same time and temper the belly too. I leave the last 6" or so stiff. You can easily reduce that length easy enough by bringing the bend  more towards the tips.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Piddler

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 12:31:44 pm »
Thanks Jawge and Pat for the recomendations.
I've decided to build a caul and get them the same reflex wise. I think it will be easier for me to tiller. Not that good at tillering anyway so I need all the edge I can get. I have a couple crooks to straighten anyway.
Piddler

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 12:39:29 pm »
I would add that instead of increasing reflex, I would reduce the reflex in the limb that has more. Decreasing reflex will make it easier overall for you to tiller, reduce strain somewhat and more importantly the correction will definitely 'stay put' throughout tillering.
Inducing more reflex can work but it is much more likely to pull out late into tillering leaving you in the same position you started in :)

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 01:10:42 pm »
I would add that instead of increasing reflex, I would reduce the reflex in the limb that has more. Decreasing reflex will make it easier overall for you to tiller, reduce strain somewhat and more importantly the correction will definitely 'stay put' throughout tillering.
Inducing more reflex can work but it is much more likely to pull out late into tillering leaving you in the same position you started in :)

+1 I have never had deflex pull out ;D ;D I have had some pull in though ;)

Offline Piddler

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2020, 05:36:07 pm »
Thanks Bownarra and DC
All points taken. I made a caul today. It kind of goes in between all. Will still end up about 2" reflex total. Kind of hard to notice in the photo but the right limb has a pretty good crook in the limb the left one not so much. So the caul should pull some of the reflex out of the right limb and remove the crook and add a little bend to the left. Well see how the it turns out in a couple days.
Thanks for the help guys
Piddler

Offline simson

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 12:20:55 pm »
+1 what PatB said.

two ways:
1. induce more reflex in the left limb, no flip
2. reduce the right limb til the same shape of the left and flip the tips a bit