Author Topic: types of linen thread  (Read 7358 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
types of linen thread
« on: April 10, 2020, 07:44:42 am »
Afternoon everyone!
This is an expansion of a thread I posted on the main bows section.  In a nutshell, what types of linen/hemp/other natural threads, have you experience of, how do you rate them, and, can anyone explain the differences - like is Somac thread different from Barbour in any way other than manufacturing name?  Waxed or unwaxed? Coloured thread or plain white or natural finish?
Anyone else used Wenzel-type thread - sewing linen on a 10m or 15m card. Is plaiting thread the same stuff as Wenzel thread? Can you buy sewing linen on cops (reels) or only on cards?
I have a little experience of Barbour 18/4 and Wenzel,  I like both and suspect the Wenzel is superior but then it is double the price, however, I do not feel I have enough experience to make a proper judgement on this
Thanks

Offline JNystrom

Re: types of linen thread
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 02:40:13 am »
You can test the strength of your thread. Make a simple pull test with scale. Make sure to wrap the thread around something so that it doesn't make a weak spot. Then the other end in to the scale. Then just pull untl it breaks and note the number on the scale. Repeat it some times to get accurate.
I think the rating is this "tex" value? Like strength divided with weight of the thread. Or vise versa.

I've only used the strongest barbour line we found. It makes good 150 grain strings for 30-80 pound bows. Flight shooters sure would like to have stronger material. Me included. :)

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 01:24:38 pm »
I'm not familiar with thread numbers anymore, so please enlighten me(us).  I have read somewhere , maybe here, that the Irish linen shoemaker's thread is very good for bow strings, but don't know where to get it.  Right know, I use B50 and Fast Flight when I do make a string.  What does 18/4 mean, and is it an industry standard rating?  Thanks, this is a learn something new day! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 03:55:45 pm »
I believe, but could be wrong, that the Wenzel is the shoemaker's thread. I should have an old bowstring in the garage made from it, haven't found it yet though

Black Moshannon

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 05:58:30 pm »
I'm using Coats (Barbour) thread which is listed as 5 cord. It broke at around 23 pounds. Works great so far. Its expensive though.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 08:26:28 am »
Thanks for the responses. I emailed my preferred supplier. Wenzel is equivalent to 18/3 waxed linen thread and is itself pure linen. It is also shoemaker's thread. There are 2 major producers of linen thread that retail in the UK, Somac and Barbour. Somac finish their thread in the UK, Barbour don't. 18/3 and 18/4 make great bowstring.

Question
Waxed or un-waxed? I have used both but would be grateful for your opinion on this. I would think there are advantages to waxed thread if you are not trying to glue anything to it??

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 08:39:47 am »
Somac finish their thread in the UK, Barbour don't.

What does "finish" mean in this case? Do you mean Barbour doesn't finish it thread at all or that they do it somewhere else.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 11:15:08 am »
Barbour does all its production work in Eastern Europe,  Somac does something in the UK, but I have no idea what, packaging maybe?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 05:58:49 pm »
I picked up a # of Barbour thread a few years ago through Ebay.  It was old stock listed as 16/2.  I tested the break strength at 17#.  A 300# string is quite slim.  I've not had one break yet
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 10:50:08 am »
Does this look familiar to anyone? We used it at work 40-50 years ago to tie wiper cords. I grabbed it when we stopped using it. It is linen and I'm pretty sure it's Barbour but the labels are long gone. My puppy chewed one of them. :D

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2020, 11:33:40 pm »
Maybe not the thread, but I've seen a lot of puppy chews!  That one got rescued just in the nick of time! (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 07:41:05 am »
Does this look familiar to anyone? We used it at work 40-50 years ago to tie wiper cords. I grabbed it when we stopped using it. It is linen and I'm pretty sure it's Barbour but the labels are long gone. My puppy chewed one of them. :D

The spools look like what I have so I would assume it is Barbour thread.  Do a break test
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 10:22:00 am »
I have good experience with yarn from Hoogen and from Gruschwitz.
Both yarn manufacturers are available in shoemaker's supplies or saddler's supplies (at least in Europe).
The following varieties have worked: 18/3, 18/6, 20/3, 20/6.
These types are also available pre-waxed, what I prefer.