Author Topic: Bamboo nodes : sand or press?  (Read 2456 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Bamboo nodes : sand or press?
« on: April 10, 2020, 01:50:59 pm »
Perk to being home, my better half wanted the bamboo thinned a little. Half hour later 25 sticks between 7mm and 12mm are drying in the rafters! That gives me a push to pull down the canes dried feom last summer. Is it best to sand down the nodes, or, to presd them flat?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bamboo nodes : sand or press?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 07:04:03 pm »
Some folks successfully sand the nodes but don't do it until after the cane has been straightened. They seem to break at a node if you sand it first before straightening. I prefer to compress the nodes by heating and compress under a wood block rolled over a smooth surface. I do this last but before I temper the shaft.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buck67

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 06:02:22 am »
Pat, I don't want to derail this conversation.  I just tried heating and rolling down the nodes and was pleased to find that it works great.  Now what does heat treating bamboo entail?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 06:57:06 am »
I use our kitchen gas stove for a heat source for straightening arrows. What I do is start at one end and heat and rotate the shaft slowly as working from one end to another then lay them flat to cool. Be very careful when you get to the other end. There will be steam and it will burn you. After this you may have to do a little more straightening.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 03:36:15 am »
How do you know the shaft is tempered?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 05:29:55 am »
Slight discoloration.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 10:02:39 am »
Have you found it makes much difference in the spine Pat?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 04:18:19 pm »
DC, I only check spine of cane arrows to find the stiff side which goes against the bow. I imagine tempering would stiffen the cane shaft.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 09:56:37 am »
I'll have to try one. I'll measure the spine before and after :D