Author Topic: Couple of blades  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Mesophilic

Couple of blades
« on: April 11, 2020, 02:03:32 pm »
Finished these two up.  They're based on a knife pattern that I made last year out of an old file, it did amazingly well field dressing elk.

The original reflexed a little in the quench. 

The one on the left is an old file dressed in stabilized lacewood.  I think I need a new Scotchbrite belt, my belt finish didn't come out the way I wanted.  It didn't reflex in the quench the way the original did.

The one on the left is made from W2 and I attempted a clay coating.  It's dressed in non-stabilized apple wood and walnut with red liners.  I artificially shaped the recurve in to this one.  I think the clay mix came off prematurely in the quench.  I used vinegar and citric acid for the etch, as I can't get ahold of any ferric chloride or PCB etchant right now.  The acid ate deeply in to the one dark spot but hardly touched it anywhere else.   Learned alot, and trying to decide if the learning curve is worth it.

I have a second W2 clay coated blade I'm in the process of finishing.  Got some interesting effects on that one but nothing I'd call a hamon. 

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline mmattockx

Re: Couple of blades
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 02:32:16 pm »
The W2 blade has a great tanto look to it, I love it. Blade length? What are you doing for sheaths?

Mark

Offline Mesophilic

Re: Couple of blades
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 02:38:57 pm »
The file knife is a 4.75 inch blade and the W2 is 5 inches.

Haven't decided yet on sheaths.  The file knife will probably get a more basic leather utilitarian sheath.  For the W2, I kind of want to make an apple wood and leather scabbard.  But we'll see how things develop.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-