Author Topic: Observations of pinch grip.  (Read 3044 times)

Offline aznboi3644

Observations of pinch grip.
« on: April 12, 2020, 09:05:22 am »
Years ago when I got into bows I learned to shoot with a pinch grip with two fingers under the arrow.  I got pretty accurate out to 20 yards but never got the chance to go hunting.  Life changed. 

Since I picked up bow making again and shooting I have been shooting with the typical 1 over 2 under split finger.

I have noticed that arrows that seem underspined shooting with the fingers hooked on the string suddenly become perfectly spined shooting with the pinch grip.  The release changes the whole dynamic of the paradox. The arrows go from the rails swaying right to flying straight on. 

I am at a cross road here with shooting.  I have trouble anchoring at the corner of my mouth while shooting split finger but shooting pinch grip the motion feels so much more natural to me.  I find that anchor at my face without even thinking about it.  Oh the troubles of life lol

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Observations of pinch grip.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 11:08:01 am »
Stick with what comes naturally, feels most comfortable and what you are more accurate with. There is no right of wrong method.
If you think you'd rather change to a Mediterranean grip(1 over, 2 under) start from scratch and learn to shoot that way just like you're learning from the beginning.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 11:32:46 am »
I have noticed that arrows that seem underspined shooting with the fingers hooked on the string suddenly become perfectly spined shooting with the pinch grip.  The release changes the whole dynamic of the paradox. The arrows go from the rails swaying right to flying straight on. 

I am at a cross road here with shooting.  I have trouble anchoring at the corner of my mouth while shooting split finger but shooting pinch grip the motion feels so much more natural to me.  I find that anchor at my face without even thinking about it.  Oh the troubles of life lol

I am in a similar situation in that I shot archery as a kid and teen and am now getting back into it at 51 and trying to sort my anchor and release all over again. A couple questions about your observations:

1) Is your draw shorter with the pinch grip? That may explain some of the arrows flying straighter as well.
2) What problem are you having with anchoring on the corner of your mouth with pinch?

I am asking because I am shooting 3 under at the moment and am having trouble with my anchor as well and I would like to hear what others have been doing to deal with it.

Mark

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 01:47:17 pm »
My draw is actually shorter with the Mediterranean grip.  With the split finger grip my wrist doesn’t want to twist how it needs to anchor at the corner of my mouth. 

I am getting a better anchor with the pinch.  When I shoot with a pinch grip I can draw farther and get that solid anchor in my cheek and have that arrow right below my eye. 

I think I am going to continue the more natural pinch grip and just push on. 

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 02:06:55 pm »
My draw is actually shorter with the Mediterranean grip.  With the split finger grip my wrist doesn’t want to twist how it needs to anchor at the corner of my mouth. 

Ah, ok. My problem is my head position doesn't allow me to draw far enough for my elbow to fully rotate around to the back if I anchor at the corner of my mouth, so we are fighting different things.

I would agree with Pat and go with whatever you find comfortable, consistent and accurate.

Mark

Offline willie

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 07:35:29 pm »
I have noticed that arrows that seem underspined shooting with the fingers hooked on the string suddenly become perfectly spined shooting with the pinch grip.

a lot going on when the string comes off the fingers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KGWC0PB6s

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 10:28:34 pm »
I have noticed that arrows that seem underspined shooting with the fingers hooked on the string suddenly become perfectly spined shooting with the pinch grip.

a lot going on when the string comes off the fingers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96KGWC0PB6s

The shot at 1:48 really shows why finger release is so hard to perfect. The amount of flex in the 30-35lb arrow near the end is pretty astounding, considering it actually made it around the correct side of the riser.

Mark

Offline Traxx

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 11:20:23 pm »
When i was young,,My grandad gave me an old bow he had made and taught me a few basics and then turned me loose,to develop my own style..I shot pretty well for years and took a bit of game through the years..My style was more a native style,as compared to more modern archery styles ...I later shelved archery to pursue other occupations in life,that needed my full attention...I later came back to archery and i studied all the "Proper" techniques that would make me a world class archer...I ended up destroying my shooting so badly,that i damn near gave it up...I laid off for a while and came back with the attitude that i would try to re find that style i once used and started enjoying things again.. Now,,im never going to compete with an Olympic Class archer at their game,,but thats not where my interest is.. i have found,that in many cases,the style i use has proven superior,in the game i play...So i concur with what Pat says..