Author Topic: Tiller question...  (Read 1202 times)

Offline Jakesnyder

Tiller question...
« on: April 17, 2020, 07:48:57 am »
I came across this picture and was curious about the tiller on these bows. Out toward the tips seem to be bending more than how I would tiller a d bow. Are they maybe deflexed there a li little?

Offline Jakesnyder

Re: Tiller question...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 07:50:28 am »
This is how I thought a good d bow tiller should look like.

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 08:02:31 am »
whip tilled bows are quieter and more forgiving... speed is less.. but easier to shoot ... at least I have found that to be true....gut

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 08:11:55 am »
I have seen that photo before. I think the reason is the bows were made from willow which is a terrible bow wood  and the Native Americans determined that was the best tiller for them.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lleroy

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 09:01:33 am »
could they be reverse-strung?
with recurves, I have seen that the string is just long enough to string the bow "backward" without putting stress on the bow:
we hang the bows on the wall like that in the archery club.

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 09:14:27 am »
  "Decurved"  tip selfbows were common in dry regions with poorer bow wood.  There is also the benefit of the bow being  capable of being strung all the time.  The bows are probably shaped that way, not tillered.

Those Mojave bows pictured were said to be made of Willow but the willow  mentioned is likely not actually a true willow.

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 10:16:13 am »
So is whip tiller the picture of the tiller I would think of as a d bow tiller or the Mojave bows?

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 10:26:14 am »
Whip tiller is a bow that bends more in the tips  from bracing and drawing.   It's not even what you are thinking of as a typical D bow tiller. 
  Those Mojave bows are shaped that way and probably relatively static in that tip  shape while drawn.