Author Topic: Advice for a first timer  (Read 1161 times)

Offline JonG

Advice for a first timer
« on: April 15, 2020, 04:35:02 am »
Hi folks,

Thanks to the Admins for accepting me, looks like there are a lot of very talented people here, hopefully some of you don't mind helping me.
I don't really have access to my own supply of wood so I ordered a 2x2 ash stave online hoping to make my first selfbow. It was probably more suited for longbow making as it only contained heartwood and the growth rings weren't very straight. I decided not to chase a ring on the back as this would have removed lots from one limb. I was expecting the bow to break pretty quickly so I just viewed this as a practice piece; however, the more time i spent the less I wanted it to break.
I used the dimensions for a holmgaard bow I got from an ebook, I have gone a good bit thinner on the limbs than suggested and I still have a good way to go to achieve the 28" draw length I am after. I am actually surprised it has gone this far without breaking. I am down to about 16mm near the handle and 12mm at the nock end. I will post pictures below; my questions are:
1. Should I stop now and back the bow with something? (I would rather have natural wood if possible)
2. Should the nocks be further up the limbs?
3. Should I go back and try to chase a ring?
4. I am waiting on bowstring arriving, at the moment I am using paracord, will this be making a difference to tillering?

Thanks in advance

https://imgur.com/a/FFAiust

Offline Jurinko

Re: Advice for a first timer
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 05:46:48 am »
Man up and expect to break it. If the length/width is as original Holmegaard, it will survive 28lb draw without backing, but it depends how much are violated those lines. Ash is quite sensitive in this as I learned myself.

Nocks close to tips and do not chase ring as you might run out of limb in the middle. Board bow is board bow.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 06:53:06 am »
Your top view profile looks very good.Your bend looks good too.That grain out run on the back does'nt.A good step in the right direction though for future builds.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 07:25:00 am »
Nocks are usually one inch or less from the limb tip. You are stiffening your bow 15 or 20 extra pounds by pulling the limbs with string in its current position.

Offline JonG

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 07:43:51 am »
Thanks for all the advice guys. Yeah, I did feel the nocks were too low, I just copied what was done in the ebook I have. It looks nice I think but not practical. I will move them higher and keep trying!
I know there won't be a set answer to this question but the plans I have show a thickness of 25mm and the handle and 13mm at the tip, I am currently at 16mm and 12mm. Would you expect to get much lower than with ash? I know the grain isn't my friend on this one.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 11:08:17 am »
I only saw 1 photo.
Linen, silk, and burlap will help the back probably in that order.
There's info on my site.
Jawge

http://traditionalarchery101.com/archer.html
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!