Author Topic: Ipe board with screws running through.  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Nasr

Ipe board with screws running through.
« on: April 14, 2020, 04:22:25 pm »
Hello everyone I have a piece of Ipe that has some screws running threw it and because of that the Ipe has split about an inch on either side of the screw. I want to know if any one has had a problem with backing a piece like this. I would just go for it but Ipe is so hard to work with that i dont want to waste too much time on it if it will just bust on me. I will be backing this with white oak strips. The cracks are running longitudinal to the piece of wood like its following the grain. Oh if anyone is wondering why i just dont get a better piece of wood its because my local lumber stores have closed down all around me and i cant get decent wood so now i have to go with what i have here at home.

Offline Tommy D

Re: Ipe board with screws running through.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 01:47:37 am »
If it’s any consolation my last bamboo backed ipe had a several worm holes that I put on the bamboo side and squeezed epoxy into and it seems ok...

Offline Ryan Jacob

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 02:11:00 am »
You might be able to compensate for the splits by changing your design, ipe bows can be made very narrow from what I’ve seen.

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 06:58:07 am »
Can you post some pictures?
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Tommy D

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 01:58:02 pm »
http://www.bowyersedge.com/patch.html  This might be worth a read and give you a confidence boost