Author Topic: My first build: Oak board kid's bow  (Read 2324 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
Re: My first build: Oak board kid's bow
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 07:38:21 pm »
Got it scraped down to 20# @ 19".  Still a little stiff for the kiddo so we'll keep going.  Slowly, slowly...
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2020, 09:05:08 pm »
Best of times, worst of times:  The kiddo got to finally put a few arrows through her bow today.  She really likes it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzj-fsPg9HI

But I believe disaster has struck.  As I was unstringing her bow, I noticed this completely sinister looking crack in the lower handle fade.  It disappears when the bow is unstrung, which does not make me feel better.

100_0349 by Thomas Wilson, on Flickr

There is also a lengthwise crack down one side of the upper limb (I couldn't get a picture of it--my cheap camera won't focus on something that narrow I guess), running along the early growth part of a ring for about 10" or so.  It's very narrow; I stuck some superglue in it a few days ago and it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse.

So...can this bow be saved (and safe)?  Or do I chalk it up to learning experience and kindling?  If the latter, what do I learn from this?  What caused these cracks to form?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 08:06:54 pm »
Any help with this, gents?  I decided just to order the Badgerling a you-finish bow from 3rivers so she has something to shoot until I can make her one...but I'm really wondering what went wrong, here.  Any ideas?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 08:27:08 pm »
Looks like a growth ring crack to me.  Some red oak is more ring-porous than others, owing to issues in how they grow and the specific species that it's from.

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 09:53:43 am »
Maybe got bent backward?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 09:58:29 am »
Maybe got bent backward?

No, I never bent it backward and my daughter never used the bow without my supervision, so I don't think that happened.  Taylor (silentsniper) thought maybe my fades were too sudden and put too much pressure on it.  I also wonder if I just got a cruddy piece of wood.  In the closeup, that early wood looks really spongy.  Edward, is that what you're thinking?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline TimBo

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 11:34:20 am »
Sorry to see that, but it does look like the backing kept it from going kaboom!  In addition to the other comments, it looks like that area is not finished super smoothly - that can help avoid problems too.  Fades are a common failure spot since there is some grain violation as part of the design, which is why they need to be smooth and gradual.  There is definitely some variation in quality with bow wood, and red oak is no exception. 

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 12:21:11 pm »
Yup, that's what I was getting at.  The oaks on my property are teaching me all kinds of lessons about durability differences.  Just wish they'd look different.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 12:31:25 pm »
Your handle to limb transition is much too abrupt, it also looks like you have grain runout in this area.

Your fades should look like this;