Author Topic: Period Straight razor  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Period Straight razor
« on: April 15, 2020, 07:32:52 pm »
Here's something fun!  As a blacksmith you need to be able to make about anything that is needed, that means tools to knives and about anything else made out of steel. This is a case in point. I was asked to make a period shaving straight razor, for those non bearded brethren who like to look good in the woods! This one is made from D-2 tool steel. I keep some of these blanked out in the shop as I do a few of them from time to time.  I found a great Elk tine to use on this one and proceeded to fit this up before doing any forging on it to make sure I stay within the lines. Thought you guys might like a peek as we go along here. This is where we start, with the blank blade fitted to this elk tine with a solid silver pin.  Now the real fun can begin. Thanks!
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline EdwardS

Re: Period Straight razor
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 08:29:31 pm »
That's some really great work.  How does silver wear in this situation?

Offline Handforged

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 08:38:24 pm »
That's some really great work.  How does silver wear in this situation?

The silver pins I use here are fairly malleable so as long as the blade is fitted tightly with brass washers to act as bearings.. It is very period correct for some makers all the way back to the 1700's. I like them because they peen so nicely on the other side, with essentially zero slack. If they are fitted well, they'll last forever.

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 08:51:42 pm »
I know silver has similar bearing properties as brass.  That's really interesting to know.

Sterling or another alloy?

Offline Handforged

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 08:56:16 pm »
I know silver has similar bearing properties as brass.  That's really interesting to know.

Sterling or another alloy?
these are nickel/silver alloy.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 09:02:44 pm »
Very cool. I look forward to seeing how this one ends up.

Mark

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 01:51:52 pm »
Almost make me want to shave again  ;D
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 08:45:43 pm »
That's very nice it's on my to do list

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 12:12:15 am »
Neat!  But I can hardly shave with a modern disposable 5 blade safety cartridge! >:D (lol) (lol),  nice work, might do great for scraping hides!?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mr. Woolery

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 10:45:20 am »
So it looks like a flat grind to me. When you sharpen these, do you use a secondary bevel at all?

I’ve shaved with a straight razor before. Smoothest shave I ever had, but it took 45 minutes!  I’m told that with practice that time can be halved. But still, that’s a lot of time to get smooth.

There’s a lot more to a proper cutthroat than it looks. I’m looking forward to more pics of this one.

Patrick

Offline Handforged

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 11:31:16 am »
So it looks like a flat grind to me. When you sharpen these, do you use a secondary bevel at all?

I’ve shaved with a straight razor before. Smoothest shave I ever had, but it took 45 minutes!  I’m told that with practice that time can be halved. But still, that’s a lot of time to get smooth.

There’s a lot more to a proper cutthroat than it looks. I’m looking forward to more pics of this one.

Patrick
This one has no bevels on it at all at this point. It's just a rough shaped blank. It will get a deep hollow grind to sharp with no secondary bevel. Straight razors are the only place that I feel like this grind has merit but it produces an edge that has the slightest amount of flex while remaining razor sharp. Straight razors are an entirely different animal than knives or anything else really, with their own specific rules to the game.

Offline Mr. Woolery

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 11:19:28 pm »
Okay! The pics on my phone are pretty small. The fact that it’s unground wasn’t as clear as the lack of hollow grind.

I’ve done a lot of hollow ground knives, but I agree with you. It is a method of getting a thin edge that is only right in circumstances where you really don’t need any real edge strength. And in many cases the knives that you can hollow grind (skinning and camping blades come to mind), the hollow doesn’t improve them.

It looks elegant. I like your aesthetic.

Patrick

Offline Handforged

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 11:28:24 pm »
I was hoping to work on it a little more today to illustrate that hollow grind to sharp but leather work on completing some sheaths got in the way. 

It's hard to believe there are so many twists and turns in something so simple as a straight razor. I have another in the works that is solid white bone for the handle that I would really love to see someone scrimshaw. It's a good bit larger than this early style razor with a French cut face.  It will have a good bit of file work and jimping. I'm gonna make it PURDY.