Author Topic: Question on spine for longer arrows  (Read 1554 times)

Offline EdwardS

Question on spine for longer arrows
« on: April 15, 2020, 08:06:21 pm »
OK, so I'm actually pretty deficient in this area.  I never grew up spining arrows.  I never spined my Manchu arrows formally-because of my draw weight and poundage, Forrester custom-made me a set of shafts that I couldn't bend when I shot 120#.  They were nearly 1/2" in diameter.  Hit like a freight train (they were leopardwood for weight and durability.)  However, I am going with rivercane for my next set of arrows if I can.  I have shot rivercane, or hill cane, or switch cane all my life.  I'm however not so great at picking them out.  If I cut 24, 6 might make the cut.  Those six were laser beams.  I got used to shooting anything and adjusting technique for it like Pop taught me.  However, I'm not able to talk to Pop anymore, as he's passed on.  I passed the warrior initiations, but I never learned everything.  So now I'm stuck.  I can make a good arrow.  That's not my issue.  But making a proper arrow (by our standards) is much much harder, and I don't know any elders to ask.  My band is almost completely gone-I may be the last of our offshoot still practicing and not gone completely "mainstream" (which is a poor word, but it kinda conveys my meaning.) 

I looked at Khan's arrows.  They're really good work.  But I don't know how I feel about tonkin.  I know it's awesome, if it's anything like the madake I've shot.  I know I could talk to him, get some with points that I can finish myself, and rest easy.  But something in me says that's too easy.  I'm confused and missing information.  I don't shoot like a European.  I can shoot Asian just fine, but I finally just wanna shoot Mvskoke and now i don't have enough information to finish everything.

Sorry for the rant, but it's giving me fits.  And bad sleep.

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: Question on spine for longer arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 11:56:58 pm »
Edward,
We are the elders now!  It is up to us to try to pass on the traditions and skills we have, and to continue to learn as much as we can about what has been "lost".   I think you are on track with your arrow making and 6 "lasers" out of 24 is darned good!  Arrows are very difficult.  Remember any stick can make a bow, but a lot of work makes a good arrow!  Don't sell yourself short, if you got through the Initiations, you have a wealth of knowledge to pass down!  Btw, I cannot and do not claim any clan ties with Native or First Nations peoples, I did get my "Hawkdancer" tag from an Ojibwa Scout leader.
Jerry (Hawkdancer)
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry