Author Topic: Native American horn bow video, Stilyan Stevanov  (Read 7052 times)

Offline Aaron H

Native American horn bow video, Stilyan Stevanov
« on: April 17, 2020, 07:31:07 am »
One of the best videos I've seen.   Very well done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=ULVQuCbkFjQ

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Native American horn bow video, Stilyan Stevanov
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 09:45:10 am »
I agree Aaron.Many skills shown on that one.Thanks for posting.I'll watch it again sometime.
Some was cut out but the basics shown through though.How much actual time went by with all of that you think?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:20:18 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 10:50:02 am »
Just going by the leaf colour and seasons it looks like at least a year maybe two. It would take me that long to prep one horn by grinding it on a rock. :D Great video. I've bookmarked his home page.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 11:39:29 am »
thanks for sharing that it was a great watch with my morning coffee.
really cool to see him do everything with stone tools too.
 iv'e read some assertions that the native Americans couldn't make horn bows until they got steel tools from white settlers, he just went and blew that theory out of the water  ;D

Offline wstanley

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 12:58:42 pm »
Wow. Inspiring. Its awesome to see the all the side preparation he has to do (glue, rock heating etc.) just to get to the actual bow-making. Thanks for posting this. Makes it almost look easy, lots of steps cut out still, but I don't think the guy was going for a step by step instructional video. He could do a whole video just on the tools he made in order to make the bow.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 01:07:43 pm »
Yeah, it's certainly inspiring.  Stilyan is a master horn bow builder, so he definitely does make it look easy.  He's got several videos out, each one better than the last.  He does a fantastic job filming the process, incorporating nature within it all.

Ed, my guess would be this was about a 6-8 month process, start to finish.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 07:39:20 am »
My guess is Aaron he did'nt stay out in that cave the whole time,but still did the majority of the work on that bow out there.These type things can be decieving.Understandable showing the shortened version of it though.I'm pretty sure it took longer than 6 to 8 months.
His filming process is top notch.Being comfortable with the process through experience can make it look easy which is a credit to him.I have not seen his other videos yet either.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:03:56 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 12:16:49 am »
My guess is Aaron he did'nt stay out in that cave the whole time,but still did the majority of the work on that bow out there.These type things can be decieving.Understandable showing the shortened version of it though.I'm pretty sure it took longer than 6 to 8 months.
His filming process is top notch.Being comfortable with the process through experience can make it look easy.I have not seen his other videos yet either.

Agreed.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 11:16:07 pm »
It does not matter to me if he completed the bow with all stone tools. He just proved it would not be hard to do. I could reduce the outside of a bighorn in probably only a few hours on a sandstone outcropping to be ready to to remove the curl. It is much easier to cut through the horn after it has been soaked for a while with stone tools. I have no desire to do this but would think I could complete a a bighorn bow with stoneage tools in under 100 hours. This guy probably took the bow home to his table sander and cutting wheels between filming but that does not matter to me. He proved a point to some close minded people that it can be easily done.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 10:26:11 am »
it also supports the idea that these bows were developed independently in the US by native groups prior to arrival of horses and Europeans. I've read this bow technology was introduced by Turks and others.

bownarra

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 12:17:01 pm »
If the Turks had nipped over and shown the Indians how to make hornbows I suspect they would have shown them the use of a wooden core ;)
When I see these bows I always wonder how long it would've taken someone to figure out a way to make a longer bow by the use of a core.
Chuck - exactly who cares if he stayed in the cave the whole, time, used exclusively stone tools etc...it was a great video and shows that it is entirely possible to make one of these bows without steel. Good on him for doing it :) 

Offline StickMark

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 09:00:01 pm »
The value of a video like this centers on craftsmanship. I teach.  Showing students dedication to craft is important. I watched this "horn bow in a cave" video few weekends ago.  Since then, wrapped up serious projects, motivated by his work.  So many of you guys ( chuckl. winning that flight contest, sleek building in a parking lot!!, DC's builds, etc..) motivate unknown numbers to revisit craftsmanship as a virtue.
Hopefully my comment does not kill the thread.
I realize that I digress from horn bows specifically, but I want to point out that this site, and the video, is fantastic in how it pushes craftsmanship.

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 11:53:20 pm »
Yes anything that motivates folks to get off their behinds is a good thing :)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 07:54:40 am »
Yes saw that one already, another member posted it as well.  It is good
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com