Author Topic: Uneven Crown  (Read 884 times)

Offline Likemp

Uneven Crown
« on: April 17, 2020, 05:31:50 pm »
The black locust pyramid bow I'm working on is unevenly crowned and makes it so about the first half of each limb from the handle out starts more highly crowned than the rest, and then levels out fairly smoothly to each of the tips.  I have the belly flat and the thickness even across each limb, and the early tiller is looking pretty good, but it's obvious that it has to bend more, closer to the handle where there is more wood due to the crown even though the widths appear even.

So my question is, do I leave the belly flat and just keep removing wood that way? I'm very intrigued by the "hollow limb design", and I saw the recently posted black locust hld bow that's even shorter than this (mine is 56"ntn), but I feel like that is quite an advanced technique probably saved for when I have a little more experience under my belt. BUT, would it make sense to remove wood just from the center of the belly, closer to the handle to create a truly even thickness, and end up with partially hollows limbs?

I know you guys love pics, I'll have to take some later if it would help.  That lateral limb correction kept popping back so I steamed in the string alignment at the handle, and it's in the clamps now. Felt like I wasn't doing it any good heating and torquing it laterally like that over and over again.  Hopefully the handle adjustment sticks. 

Thanks in advance!

Offline Weylin

Re: Uneven Crown
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 06:09:28 pm »
If it was mine I would would hollow out the high crown areas to match the contour of the back. That means that some areas would be hollowed out and some would be flat as the back dictates. I know not everyone would agree but it's worked well for me in similar situations. otherwise you end up with razor thin edges on the areas that have high crown, or you lose width.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 06:48:56 pm »
I don't know anything about hollow limb designs. i do know i've spent hours at the fade area getting wood to start to move there.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Likemp

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 07:50:17 pm »
Thanks Weylin, it was your tutorials and the kindness of this forum that got me started down this journey, it's much appreciated! I was worried about ending up with those thin edges near the fades, but I got so used to reading "Black Locust = flat belly" that I was wary of matching the belly to crown of the back. 

Jawge - Looks like I've got some hours ahead of me as well ;D :BB

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 03:06:52 am »
I would exact do like Weylin suggested!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany