Author Topic: My go-to red oak flatbed  (Read 918 times)

Offline PatrickH

My go-to red oak flatbed
« on: April 17, 2020, 10:44:39 am »
So I haven't shared a bow on here in over 8 years. So I even though this guy isn't a new bow (I made it 5 years ago) it is still new to the message boards here lol. It is a red oak board bow made from two pieces billeted together. One limb had nice 'sideways' grain and the other one was very off grain and had a mixture of heartwood and sap wood that ran sideways off of the limb. I never expected it to survive tillering, but I had the boards and figured it would be a good learning experience. It didn't break in tillering, and it didn't explode (as I expected it to) when shot. It's been 5 years and I have shot hundreds of arrows out of it and the damn thing still lives. Earlier this year I noticed that the top limb (the lighter colored limb) was bending more than the bottom and had about 1.5 inch of set (the darker limb was at 3/4in set) so I did a little dry heat bending and now both limbs are at less than 1/2in set (good enough for me), Looking at these pictures that top limb is bending a lot more again, maybe i will try heat or tillering the other limb. Or or maybe I will retire old Bessie here lol. It is 72in non 55lbs@30in. It aint a trophy winner but its killed a few squirrels, and a lot of beer cans.
Muskegon Mi.

Offline PatrickH

Re: My go-to red oak flatbed
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 10:45:23 am »
Muskegon Mi.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: My go-to red oak flatbed
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 06:51:26 pm »
That is fine bow.  Time for another.
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!