Author Topic: Holding at full draw for a better shot while hunting?  (Read 2447 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Holding at full draw for a better shot while hunting?
« on: April 17, 2020, 02:40:46 pm »
Hey guys,

Is it okay to hold a wooden bow at full draw for a little longer to wait for a better shot? In order to make what I'm asking easier to understand, I will write a scenario here. Let's say you're hunting turkeys, which have keen eyesight, without a pop-up blind and a turkey comes along and is facing broadside to you. It walks behind a tree, which obscures its vision to its side for a bit, and then you raise your bow and draw it to full draw. The turkey comes back into view and you release the arrow into the turkey's body. Would this be a reasonable scenario with a wooden bow? And if so, would it be a good idea to practice this way before attempting it while hunting, to hold your bow at full-draw for a few more moments before releasing? Your replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Holding at full draw for a better shot while hunting?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 02:53:26 pm »
yeah, that would be a great scenario to be in since its really hard to draw suuuuuuupppppeeeerrr slowly. think about it like this, its easier to hold a bow at full draw then to draw it slowly. also think about it like this too, if your lifting its easier to hold the weight when your muscles completely contracted or not contracted at all. but the inbetween portion is the hard part.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 05:21:19 pm »
The longer you hold at full draw the more stress you are adding to your bow. I generally don't hold for more than a second or two at full draw and mostly I release as soon as I hit anchor. With lots of practice to get your archery muscles developed you should be able to come to full draw with very little movement as viewed from the target.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 09:46:52 pm »
I agree with Pat.  It might be possible to hold a lighter bow at full draw for a few seconds without accuracy suffering, but I like to do my aiming/lining up/sight picture/mysterious instinctive voodoo while I'm drawing.  Hit anchor, very slight pause, and off she goes. 

I understand trying to time the draw when the critter's head is behind a tree, then whacking it when its vitals clear the other side.  It's a risky move, because they have an annoying tendency to stop behind the tree.  Then you have to let down, and if you're lucky draw again, for 3x the movement.   You pay your money and you take your chances!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 03:21:33 pm »
I have several friends that shoot that way, they use the point of aim system and have to line up at full draw, it works fine, it is harder on the bow as Pat said so just build it a little longer and that will help. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good