Author Topic: Bow string hitting forearm question.  (Read 3878 times)

Offline wstanley

Bow string hitting forearm question.
« on: April 20, 2020, 01:34:32 pm »
When shooting an arrow (left side of bow), I have heard that with proper form the string should not hit your forearm - Is this true, and if it is - what is the proper form to avoid this?

Thanks,
Wes

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bow string hitting forearm question.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 03:01:49 pm »
Is your bow arm elbow bent slightly?  ...and is your elbow turned in or out?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline wstanley

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 03:17:48 pm »
Neither, I shoot on the right side and avoid that whole issue. I was just curious if its true that you can avoid the bow slap if shooting on the left side of the bow. And if you can how? Its seems like you would need the bow to be more vertical and have your elbow turned into to expose less of your forearm? But I have no idea

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 12:18:05 am »
Not real sure what you aren't doing right!  Of course, the slap is why armguards were invented.  If you are shooting right handed, the arrow normally passes over the left hand, you may not be holding the bow correctly.  Shooting off the right side, I can't help much.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 10:22:44 am »
I think this is a hypothetical question, right? I wear an arm guard because occasionally I get smacked. I think it's a combo of form and brace height. If you've notice most of the people that shoot glass recurves don't wear arm guards. Glass recurves have very high brace heights. Like Pat said if your elbow is rotated and slightly bent you won't smack your arm (very often :D) but if your brace height is higher you'll smack it even less. ELB's have a relatively low brace height and I believe most longbow shooters wear arm guards.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 11:28:37 am »
Yes, this is a hypothetical question. I worded it poorly.

Ok that makes a lot of sense.

The reason I ask is a while back I posted some Ishi shooting videos. PatM had asked what are the advantages to this style? This would be one I would suppose. No string slap in any ways when shooting shorter length/braced bows if you shoot Ishi style. I think that would be beneficial when hunting (quieter shot) and not bruising the heck out of your arm. But again I am new to all of this. Thanks for your responses.

Offline RandyN

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 05:00:30 pm »
Possibly shooting off the right, as Ishi did, made it quicker to load arrows. The arrow didn't have to to pass to the left side of the bow for a right handed shooter. There would also be less movement while hunting. With that said, I shoot off the left side and use an arm guard for the times I hit my forearm.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 05:15:04 pm »
I use an arm guard to keep my sleeve out of the way of the string. Since I like to keep my set up the same when I shoot I always wear an arm guard whether I have long or short sleeves. My stance and form are very loose so I rarely hit my arm but it does happen occasionally.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 01:16:54 am »
Like Pat it does happen only occasionally.I've always shot off left side of bow.Used to happen for me when I first began to shoot.It has to do with for me having a good follow through with a slight bow in bow arm while shooting.I shoot half canted most times.It actually shoots quieter that way at least for me when I follow through properly.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 07:17:00 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline wstanley

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 10:39:41 am »
Thanks y’all for the responses.

PaulN, I think so too. When you see historic photos of Cali natives who shot this way they’ve got 2 arrows in each hand (bow held as well), two in the mouth and underneath their armpit. Like a display of their arsenal for intimidation. I’m sure getting rid of arrows quickly for war and hunting was important.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 12:44:25 pm »
You'll find that it's your first shot while hunting that's the most important and usually the deciding factor.If a complete miss I've had them come closer or not move at all hardly because of the bow being so quiet.Not always but it has happened.
It's why I like a side cat quiver.No outward arm movement to nock another arrow.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 04:35:50 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed

Offline wstanley

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 06:33:28 pm »
Thanks, good advice BowEd. Still on the hunt for my first kill. Still fairly new  to archery and bow making, but a whole heck of a lot more new to hunting! I understand the woods and critters fairly well since I love the outdoors and im out there as much as I can be, but that doesn’t mean I can get a deer!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 06:58:34 pm »
It'll happen.A person just has to work the odds.Get out enough times and it'll happen.
So many things go into a successful hunt besides the shot that a hunter with a self bow needs to pay attention to.I pay attention to their movements.I don't use cameras and I try to ambush them.Still they are unpredictable most times.Sometimes in a good way and sometimes in a bad way.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Strelets

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 01:18:43 pm »
If you have enough brace height, you are holding the bow so that the pressure on your bow hand goes through the base of your thumb, and you loose well so that you don't pluck the string to one side, then you will not hit your arm and you won't need a bracer. If you shoot without a bracer and fail on any one of these "ifs" you will get a very sharp reminder of your lapse in form.

Offline Fox

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2020, 12:43:29 pm »
I shoot off the left side and i play around with brace till i don't smacked and the arrow flies best..this is usally around 5.5-6"
I also dont really wrap my whole hand around the bow... more like pinching between my palm and tips of my fimgers on the back ..... my left elbow is also bent
Why must we make simple things so complicated?