Author Topic: Heat gun diffusers  (Read 2721 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Heat gun diffusers
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 01:41:35 pm »
DC I think mine came with that attachment to. I haven’t used it but I was wondering the same thing. I do use one that I would call a step down reducer and I kinda like it.

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2020, 02:07:23 pm »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bassman

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2020, 03:14:16 pm »
This is my second Wagner. First one burned up.The one I have now shuts off if you hold it to close to the wood. I do have a red Master-Mite heat gun that works better for me for an even heat treat. With oil on the stave I can hold it just off the wood, but it does take more time. That flare nozzle looks like an  extension we put on our car tail pipe back in the day along with dice, fender skirts, and Coon tails.The 1950's.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 05:17:48 am »
I tried the atachments & didnt like them , I just use the gun held  about 4" above the limb & when the inrared thermometer reaches 375-400 Deg I move up the limb a couple inches clamping the limb behind me I try to clamp as much of the limb while hot as posible ! Here is before & after tillered to 32" !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 05:23:11 am »
... & when the infrared thermometer reaches 375-400 Deg I move up the limb a couple inches ...
Infrared thermometer! :o ... That's not primitive enough  ;) >:D ::) ;D
But seriously... is it one where you can see the heat  ?
Del

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 07:33:19 am »
I will try to use my primitive iphone to exsplain  :D Del its just a simple laser infrared gun there like $20 for remotely monitoring temp !

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 07:50:12 am »
Hope Ritch does'nt mind but I use one too at times.
Here I'm checking temp on heat to overly to quick cure glue under heat lamp put on with smooth-on epoxy.

and with checking temp on making hide glue

That attatchment came along with my heat gun too referring to previous topic.I don't use it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 07:59:26 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 08:31:17 am »
Lol...I guees its ok Ed sense your the one that showed me the system in the first place  ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 09:49:20 am »
SB, when you're checking the temp do you do it while the heat gun is aimed at the wood or do you swing the gun away and then check the temp. I find that the heat drops very quickly when you swing the gun away.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 10:36:04 am »
Ta for the pics :)
Del

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2020, 01:59:38 pm »
Don I keep the gun in the heat zone I do notice I get variation in temp from center to the edges but I dont really know how accurate temp wise the guns are but would guess +- 5 Deg when holding at 4" it takes a good while to come up to temp but no worries about scorching the back with a good clamping system I get better results now in terms of holding reflex but use the gun manly for reference I still pay attention to the wood !

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 02:08:09 pm »
I've tried Del's clamping splints down the side to prevent scorching but I can never get the splints tight enough to the bow. Lousy staves I guess. Even a tiny crack between the splint and the stave just seems to amplify the scorching.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2020, 02:30:07 pm »
The higher hold helps with it ,but takes longer ,but a deeper heat treat I think ,maybe Ed will chime back  in Im just using his system he has maid a ton of bows with it good smooth caul and lots of clamp blocks & clamping up the whole limb until it cool helps to I think !

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2020, 03:38:47 pm »
I've tried Del's clamping splints down the side to prevent scorching but I can never get the splints tight enough to the bow. Lousy staves I guess. Even a tiny crack between the splint and the stave just seems to amplify the scorching.
I put several layers of masking tape on the sides to help seal any gaps... and move the clamps along with the heat gun if necessary...
Del

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2020, 04:15:52 pm »
I can see how clamping sides will stop any scorching on the back but it will heat up faster then too since your containing or enclosing the heat.If doing that way I'd hold the heat gun farther away yet from the bow limb.
Holding the heat gun at the proper distance so it does'nt heat up too fast and scorch too quickly to me is important.A time factor I watch too of letting the heat slowly penetrate long enough to get deep enough.
Angle of heat gun pointing can make a difference too as far as scorching goes.I make sure I'm directly 90 degrees on top.
I've read and have seen myself that wood will plastify at 350 degrees.That's why I run temp up to close to 400 for a few minutes before moving on a half inch or so.While clamping down the wood is still above approximately 350 degrees as heat gun is moved along.
I've checked the accuracy of my laser thermometer against different thermometers.It's accurate.
Like most things you do them often enough you get a feel for what's going on and use of a laser thermometer is'nt always neccessary while heat treating limbs,but it is a reassurance to me that I did heat treat good enough.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:01:42 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed