Author Topic: corona cook pot  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

corona cook pot
« on: April 23, 2020, 09:36:25 am »
Had a limb come off one of my white pine trees so I thought I would clean up and try and use some of it(ya bored). Made a primitive pot and put 3 cups of water in and added a fish bobber so you could see water level. Homemade cloths pins on corners and surprise no leaks and took no time at all to make, Disclaimer I didn't use all primitive tools to make, just natural materials. the log ended up split into heart board pcs, white pine is one of my favorite hearth boards , so that's it for todays hunter gather project. Stay safe Bob   Sorry about the sideways one.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: corona cook pot
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 09:46:51 am »
Pretty cool. I tried making a cup from white pine bark back in the day but it didn't end well (leaked like crazy) but it worked for scooping up water and taking a sip. I also ended up with pine sap stains all over my hands and clothes. How did you keep everything looking so neat and tidy?
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 09:59:23 am »
Patrick ya should see my gloves and hands STICKY

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 10:40:35 am »
With a couple of hot rocks and some selected leaves you could enjoy a nice hot cup of tea, Bob.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 11:03:58 am »
Pat, the stinging nettles are up and just the right size, had some yesterday ummm. Bob

Offline JEB

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 11:26:28 am »
OK, Bob, splain something to this jarhead. How do you cook in that? :fp

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 11:42:21 am »
well done Bob
I made something similar but my cloths pins were shorter and I didn't like them
You made well making them oversize
I ended up making holes and running through a stick. Not perfect but better.
One downside is you loose some of the max amount of water you can put in
i wonder if there are better solution to secure the foldings

Offline wstanley

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 12:26:08 pm »
Really cool. How long dies that last with regular use?

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 01:49:41 pm »
Just wondering, when I was in Cubs we boiled water in a brown bag(sack for you Southern Folk). Do you think you could boil water in that? For any length of time? Over a fire, not using hot stones. :D

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 02:31:43 pm »
Jeb, put some really hot stones in there and you will me amazed at how quick you can get to boiling point, when one rock cools put back in fire and add another hot rock, just keep rotating. Jeb for a quickie experiment grab ya a small Styrofoam bowl or cup and add water then cook ya some rocks and see how quick it heats up. Geez no wonder ya liked them cold old c rats

DC, never tried it in a fire but here are my thoughts, bark from water line down will only reach 212 degrees well below ignition point I'm thinking. Its the bark above water line that I'm thinking could dry out and ignite, guess I'll have to give it a try some day.

wstanley,  don't know but if you don't keep folding and un folding corners should last a few times or until it gets to dried out.

Glis, I'm thinking pine pitch glue and spruce root sewing and lots of pitch around lacing holes, I guess we need to try some of this stuff out and find out for our selves, The Ole ancient ones are gone and didn't write anything down for us dummies'

I really like how this went from a simple pot to a bunch of thinkers. I came to where two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one less traveled with a few questions and I have been seeking answers ever since. That kind of sums up my years of trying to learn primitive skills. The ancients had the knowledge and we let it escape us. Good Luck with all of your adventures and I really like how everyone here has a real open mind.  Boy am I ever going to miss the  Classic and other primitive gatherings to discuss these important skills with all of you like minded individuals. Enough said. Bob
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 02:55:19 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2020, 09:20:26 am »
Nice job Bob,simple but useful. Do you have birch around where you live ? See ya down the road
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2020, 01:45:31 pm »
Roger, We got a few white birch and lots of yellow birch and few black birch, with lots of black birch not to far from my area. I was hoping to get south this yr  but ya know stuff got in the way, Hope to see ya this yr. Bob