Author Topic: Primitive hide glue  (Read 6267 times)

Offline wstanley

Re: Primitive hide glue
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 10:39:49 pm »
Pulverizing bone and hoof would work too. Like BowEd said increasing surface exposure reduces time. If you lived in the Yellowstone region the natural hot water would be a luxury perhaps?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2020, 11:02:28 pm »
Nothing to do with glue - but when that caldera blows, it takes out at least a 200 mile circle!  Well,  Maybe we could glue it back together!  If we can find bid enough pieces >:D (lol)!  The hot springs and geysers are apparently the safety valve!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 04:48:38 am »
Nothing to do with glue - but when that caldera blows, it takes out at least a 200 mile circle!  Well,  Maybe we could glue it back together!  If we can find bid enough pieces >:D (lol)!  The hot springs and geysers are apparently the safety valve!
Hawkdancer

lol, Hey Hawk, whatchu been drinking?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 09:57:16 am »
Pulverizing bone and hoof would work too. Like BowEd said increasing surface exposure reduces time. If you lived in the Yellowstone region the natural hot water would be a luxury perhaps?

Have you ever made hoof glue? :) I tried. I ground a hoof on my belt sander and collected the dust. I simmered it for eight hours and at the end all I had was hot hoof dust and water. Absolutely nothing sticky about it. I even let it dry and it was just dust. Do you know a secret? Maybe add something else? I've searched on Google and find some that say it works and some that say there is no such thing as hoof glue. When they are making "hoof" glue they boil the whole foot and it's the connective tissue that makes the glue.

Offline wstanley

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 11:14:28 am »
DC, no I have not only read of it. I assumed it works. I figure its just like gelatin - or similar? But that makes sense the whole foot would be boiled with tissue.

Maybe you needed to soak it overnight before boiling it? Who knows but I come across hoof glue every once in a while when reading about prehistoric stuff, perhaps its a misconception? But I figure it would work, its all protein right just like hide and sinew?

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 11:34:43 am »
I just went to Wikipedia and read about keratin. It is a protein but it says that "it's extremely insoluble in water" and that it resists acids. That's why cats cough up fur balls. That makes me think that hoof glue is a myth but I'd be interested if someone can get it to work. It's collagen that makes glue and there is collagen in bone so you can make glue from bone.

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 11:37:35 am »
Hoof glue is a myth
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2020, 12:13:06 am »
I think "hoof" glue is a misconception of hide glue, or a mixture like pitch glue - but I haven't made either one yet. 
Sleek,
Drink good Irish uisge beatha( whisky) and eat your broccoli!  I think in my case, being weird and crazy keeps so called normal people away!  That's why I fit in here so well!  A proper stout or red ale on occasion also helps, as does a good mead!  (lol) (lol)  And if you shun fermented or distilled beverages, well that is your choice, and I support that, too!  Hopefully the public houses and inns will soon reopen here!  Luckily, we are able to get take out on food and some beverages, if needed! 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry