Author Topic: Stitching leather  (Read 3030 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Stitching leather
« on: April 25, 2020, 04:41:42 am »
Hello, i gathered enough leather to make a quiver, i wanna Stitch It with b55 Just because i wouldnt like to get It ripped open. I have a question about stitches.. i dont know wich kind of Stitch to use best?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Stitching leather
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 06:47:24 am »
I use a saddle stitch for quivers and bags. If you don't know, a saddle stitch is one long thread with a needle on each end. Both needles go in the same hole but from different sides, pulled tight then on to the next one. A running stitch will work too but not as strong. You could also use lacing instead of thread for a more rugged look.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 12:03:40 pm »
I think i stick to the b55 since its really strong and i can also put the Stitch close to each other so the edge Will stiffen up

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 03:24:30 pm »
Looking forward to seeing it when done.   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 11:31:04 pm »
If you are sewing stiffer leather, be sure your holes are big enough.  Also make sure you have enough room to work on the inside of your stitch, if necessary!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 04:34:04 am »
Hello, i gathered enough leather to make a quiver, i wanna Stitch It with b55 Just because i wouldnt like to get It ripped open

you can always glue before stitching for extra insurance

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 11:04:21 am »
I made a hole punch from an old stainless steel fork. Shorten and twist the tines and then sharpen them easy peasy ;). Nice even spacing for your holes. I brazed it to a bolt to make it a little more robust but I don't think it's necessary.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 02:46:08 pm »
If you are sewing stiffer leather, be sure your holes are big enough.  Also make sure you have enough room to work on the inside of your stitch, if necessary!
Hawkdancer
what you mean with inside of the Stitch? 

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 03:36:59 pm »
Smart hole punch, i dont have a old fork, only have one and that's a bendy handle(lol)
 Might use a Saw blade for It wich is used on the Bahco brand hacksaws for Wood. I also Saw An old mauntainbike at the garbage so might try to get a gearing from it and sharpen the points so i have a roller punch, if none Will work out il use my fork to press Dots in the leather and Just use An awl