Author Topic: Leather Guys  (Read 2428 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Leather Guys
« on: April 26, 2020, 03:19:02 pm »
I dyed a knife sheath and after it dried I soaked it in Neats Foot oil. How long will the dye rub off on your hands and is there a way to seal it so it doesn't?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Leather Guys
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 04:44:01 pm »
Eddie, usually leather dye, once dried won't rub off. Maybe the neatsfoot oil is causing it.  There is a product that Tandy's sells called Resonol, I think that is a clear acrylic finish for leather. Only problem with it is it is shiny. Maybe water based satin poly would work but do a test first. Be sure any excess oil has been removed first.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 06:34:02 pm »
+1 about the use of resonal if it's veg tanned leather and used on the shiny side.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 08:38:23 am by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 08:19:07 am »
Thanks, guys.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2020, 11:24:45 am »
Sounds like you applied the neats foot a bit too soon and the dye has mixed with the oil. Never used Resonol, but if it's as well oiled as it sounds I'n not sure how well that'll hold. You might need to just do a kind of 'rinse and repeat' with the neats foot. Apply more then wipe off, until you not getting any of the stain coming off.
Trevor