Author Topic: good or lucky?  (Read 3868 times)

Offline jeffp51

good or lucky?
« on: April 27, 2020, 04:15:17 pm »
The boy hasn't been shooting much.  In January he was still putting arrows over the top of the backstop and into my tin shed at 7 yards.  This shot was at 15 yards and getting more consistent.  This was shot with his new bow and new arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: good or lucky?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 09:05:43 pm »
Put all 4 in the bulls eye and I'd say good.  (SH)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 11:45:16 pm »
At least one good shot! :NN. Got to pull the others into the group!  So lucky this time!  Btw, only see 5 arrows?  Hope it was a 5 shot string! >:D (lol). Looks like one of my groups, not enough practice!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2020, 11:48:44 pm »
I promised not to talk about arrow number 6. . .  O:)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 08:27:52 am »
Gotta stick with it. I remember starting this journey in the mid 90s, mid winter no less. I had a path shoveled to my target. I would fly home from work just to get 5-10 minutes of shooting light. I sprayed arrows ALL OVER the place for a few years, I'm talking a 3-4 foot circle at 12-15 yards, and no I didn't hunt with the bow. No internet and no help anywhere near me. It was all a guessing game. Over several years I talked to enough guys that knew what they were doing that I started pointing in the right direction. It took me years to figure it all out. It was worth every ounce of sweat and work I put in. Nothing sweeter than a slow arrow spiraling towards its target!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline HH~

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 08:43:25 am »
Your boy gets in the right spot he could kill supper with that accuracy. A 10" pie plate accuracy out to 20yds will kill whitetails.

That said, shooting is maybe 40% of getting liver in the skillet. Lots of things must happen just so to kill large game with selfbow effectively and consistantly.
You give up a little performance and range with primitive gear but by no means are limited in killing enough food for table fare.

My selfbows feed several families from Tenn to AL every year. Feed us while we are in elk or hog camp every year as well.

He will get it if he stays with it rather fast. He a kid, they grab stuff quick like.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 08:59:42 am »
I know what you mean Pearl.   i am slowly getting better (emphasis on the slooooowly).  I can tell the instant the arrow leaves the bow if it is a good shot or not, and that feeling that you know it is going dead center just as you release is a very good one.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 11:46:58 pm »
Being able to "call your shots" is a very big step to becoming consistent in shot placement - with any weapon!  That lets you know what to correct!  Now, to heed my own advice!  Btw, I have a lot of #6 arrows in my groups!  I call it fatigue in young shooters and getting sloppy in experienced shooters.  WHAT! ME!  No way!  Wrong, Paleface! >:D (lol) (SH) :NN
Hawkdancer
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 01:52:49 pm »
Shoot 3 arrows at a 1/2" dot from 2 yards. Once you can get all 3 arrows touching each other you are ready to move back a little. Repeat and have fun :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 05:45:18 pm »
Looks good to me, always seem to have 1 flyer. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 06:04:43 pm »
makes me wanna go out and shoot! but then again, i dont have the arrows...
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2020, 11:33:06 am »
makes me wanna go out and shoot! but then again, i dont have the arrows...
What!??  No arrows?  There should be a bunch of shrubs for gathering shoots in your area!  Dogwoods should be blooming down there!  Up here, the leaves have just opened, though!  A real dilemma!  Resort to dowel rods, maybe!  Got one arrow?  Shoot, fetch, shoot again!  Very short range, though! (lol)
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 11:43:20 am »
The one arrow in the bullseye, take it, and shoot it and it only. See if you get similar repeated results. I noticed that one arrow always flies the best. That may be his best arrow. Do the same thing with each arrow, and mark them with an L for left of target and R for right of target, depending on where it lands on target. B for bulls eye. If you have a string of Ls on an arrow after 10 shots, you know the arrow is over spined, and needs work. A string of Rs means under spined and it needs adjusting.

Just something I do with my arrows.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 02:52:54 pm »
sleek, that is a great idea.  I need to try that--especially since I try very hard to match spine in a set of arrows.  There are so many variables, however, including just variations in the wood, that I might still see some differences.  If they all react the same, then that should tell me something--of course, there are a lot of things that can make you miss left, too--like overgripping the bow, plucking, etc.  hard to eliminate those as well.