Author Topic: My horn bow build-a-long  (Read 110995 times)

Offline Woodely

Re: My horn bow build-a-long
« Reply #330 on: April 08, 2020, 05:24:26 pm »
I was afraid of that...….!!!   Its a real shame when at times during the build you think its going 100%,  you devoted lots of time and brain energy,   and it Freking breaks..!   Those are days are when I really feel like throwing in the Towel.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline DC

« Reply #331 on: April 08, 2020, 05:34:13 pm »
I was afraid of that...….!!!   Its a real shame when at times during the build you think its going 100%,  you devoted lots of time and brain energy,   and it Freking breaks..!   Those are days are when I really feel like throwing in the Towel.

It is disappointing but I knew when I started that the chance of success was pretty small. 

Offline DC

« Reply #332 on: April 08, 2020, 05:57:27 pm »
Carrying on with the post mortum. I looked at the core of the limb that I got stripped so it's just the wood. It's only 1/8" thick and then the grooves were cut in. That's from 7" out to about 13" from the centre. The horn is about 5/32" or there abouts. It's torn up so bad it's hard to get a good measure. The the sinew was about as thick as the horn and wood together but it varied more in thickness from the grip to the eye. It's hard to imagine that the wood added and structure to the bow. It's so flimsy. Do these numbers sound like they are in the ballpark? These are kind of averages so you can't get too much from them. It varies widely from the 1/3,1/3,1/3 but it was suggested that more sinew may be better for a beginner.

bownarra

« Reply #333 on: April 09, 2020, 12:24:59 am »
yeah, to me that looks like compression failure in two places among the horn
[/quote

Where are the chrysals then?

Offline JNystrom

« Reply #334 on: April 09, 2020, 02:22:20 am »
Carrying on with the post mortum. I looked at the core of the limb that I got stripped so it's just the wood. It's only 1/8" thick and then the grooves were cut in. That's from 7" out to about 13" from the centre. The horn is about 5/32" or there abouts. It's torn up so bad it's hard to get a good measure. The the sinew was about as thick as the horn and wood together but it varied more in thickness from the grip to the eye. It's hard to imagine that the wood added and structure to the bow. It's so flimsy. Do these numbers sound like they are in the ballpark? These are kind of averages so you can't get too much from them. It varies widely from the 1/3,1/3,1/3 but it was suggested that more sinew may be better for a beginner.
Yes, excess sinew will keep the bow from breaking. But if you have experience in sinew backing wood, i don't see a reason to overdo it. A 2-3mmmm thickness is enough. Originally those 42" short turkish bows had even only 50-60 grams of sinew (2mm layer).
I agree about the thinness of wood and horn, this is the problem with light bows. What can be done is made the bow really short and/or narrow. If one doesn't add as much reflex/strong kasan eye bend, he can put on more limb thickness and also keep the width less (and raise more thickness because of cutting width). This way the bow would still be 40-50 pound bow, but the limb would be more in proportion.
I have this kind of bows coming and i think its a clever way to have less gray hairs....

I don't believe in compression fractures. Horn needs to bend a ton more. It could have been a fracture somewhere that went down so fast, that there was no way to see what really happened. It happens. Thin, reflexed limbs are wobbly and delicate! Thicker, less reflexed limbs are not... While still being efficient. :)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #335 on: April 09, 2020, 08:32:40 am »

not fracture, failure. didn't know how to explain it any other way. it looks like it happened in two places because it tapers off in the middle break. I feel like the middle break popped off between the two other horn.

if you look at the drawing and where the it breaks in the horn are, assuming that where the horn broke throughout the horn is the weakest spots, it looks like if it were put too much strain on, the middle break would pop off. and i also think its pretty curious that where it broke on the middle piece, that they both tapered to a point.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DC

« Reply #336 on: April 09, 2020, 02:00:58 pm »
I took a real close look at the remains. It was the cracked limb. If the failure followed the crack which I assume it would the crack must have been at an angle like the picture. That is starting to look like a delamination of the horn to me. If the crack was deep enough it's possible that the CA never reached the bottom of it. So maybe the crack was just waiting to bite me. Anyway that's as far a speculation will take me. It's just a WAG anyway.

bownarra

« Reply #337 on: April 10, 2020, 12:43:13 am »

not fracture, failure. didn't know how to explain it any other way. it looks like it happened in two places because it tapers off in the middle break. I feel like the middle break popped off between the two other horn.

How else would it fail? If not due to compression? :)

if you look at the drawing and where the it breaks in the horn are, assuming that where the horn broke throughout the horn is the weakest spots, it looks like if it were put too much strain on, the middle break would pop off. and i also think its pretty curious that where it broke on the middle piece, that they both tapered to a point.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #338 on: April 13, 2020, 12:07:13 am »
The most disappointing failure in doing most things is when you try it 2-3 times and failure is evident.  Thats when I throw that project in the heap pile (brain and scrap bucket) and start another one. :}
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

bownarra

« Reply #339 on: April 19, 2020, 12:20:09 am »
The most disappointing failure in doing most things is when you try it 2-3 times and failure is evident.  Thats when I throw that project in the heap pile (brain and scrap bucket) and start another one. :}

All that stuff is just a state of mind. Free yourself! Failure is a fantastic things as it teaches you thinks far more effectively than easy successes. Of course we are brought up like this now through the media.
Embrace 'failure' because it isn't a 'failure' its one step closer to understanding.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #340 on: April 21, 2020, 12:02:41 am »
At the risk of sounding a little phylosophical....yep....There's got to be an unwavering passion for it.An all in attitude,but it can teach you to perservere through most any build learning along the way.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 02:00:51 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #341 on: April 21, 2020, 10:12:51 am »
I think I enjoyed each step, like when I was actually working on the bow, but I like to work on a project from start to finish. Working on it for a day or two and then hanging it up for months just didn't do it for me. I'm not a multi-tasker, I like to concentrate on a job until it's done. Still don't know if I'll do another. I'm doubting it right now.

I've still got two horn strips and all the jigs I made though. They keep staring at me.

Offline simk

« Reply #342 on: April 21, 2020, 10:52:59 am »
Come on, Don! Of what i heard and experienced you always can run into bad horn, bad luck, no control of this aspect. Not your fault. Next will be superbe! Its worth it! You can continously work on it ecxept of that month drying time. Lets do another one, like me, who stupidly put my first into hot sun, strung, till it flipped....and wrecked  ;D ;D ;D  ;D Sorry for your loss
--- the queen rules ----

Offline NorthHeart

« Reply #343 on: July 03, 2020, 11:07:43 pm »
DC-i hope those other horns stare at you until they tempt you to give it another go.  Your an awesome bowyer, and we are all rooting for you! :OK