Author Topic: Snake hunting/Food gathering  (Read 2609 times)

Offline Handforged

• Limestone Canyon Forge, Monarch MT.
Re: Snake hunting/Food gathering
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2020, 05:30:21 pm »
They blend into the rocks and gravel so well that they are almost invisible. It takes a good amount of time to develop the eye to find them. That and knowing where to look or rather what looks like it will hold a snake. we try to get out when it is cooler. That forces them out of hiding into the sun to warm up a little.
At the forge- 406-781-9098

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2020, 06:33:46 pm »
Good pictures.Looks like a good sized one you got there.Can see why they blend in so well.They must be living on something there.Rodents I suppose?
We used to run across water moccassins in central Arkansas while coon hunting a lot.An occasional copperhead by the rock bluffs.Killed a few with rocks that were handy if they were by the dogs' tree.The bottoms on a heavy humid nights would smell like them at times.Always had to watch where you put your hands climbing a bank.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Handforged

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 10:08:34 am »
If the weather holds I will be out again this week to bring another batch home. I'm looking for about 30 snake hides for the season.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 10:54:16 am »
I am not exactly phobic about snakes, just don't like them, can't hear them!  Don't like spiders, either!
A bit incongruous for an old "snake eater" SF team daddy and SGM, but!  I do understand there are some folks that like them.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Handforged

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 11:05:06 am »
I am not exactly phobic about snakes, just don't like them, can't hear them!  Don't like spiders, either!
A bit incongruous for an old "snake eater" SF team daddy and SGM, but!  I do understand there are some folks that like them.
Hawkdancer

I've been a snakeater all of my life, (5th SFG Abn). Between growing up chasing them, eating them and a few South American hot spots I have had all the fear of them beaten out of me. Now I just look at them as food and a means to an end. I wouldn't suggest it for the layman but if you have the desire, they're slow moving food with a valuable hide.

We had one of the large snakes fried last night after soaking in garlic salt water for a day or so and it was great. Not terribly filling though. More like an appetizer. I carried some over to the neighbors that were up for the weekend. One was grabbing in the bowl for more and his buddy (who is DEATHLY afraid of snakes) ran the other way, literally. Even fried in a bowl with a paper towel he wouldn't get within 6 ft of it. I had some fun with that.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 11:15:39 am by Handforged »

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 12:48:09 pm »
NONONONONONO! no snakes! well, dead ones im fine with. ive ate one before. but NO LIVE SNAKES FOR ME!  :-T
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.