Author Topic: What are my options  (Read 4004 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

What are my options
« on: April 30, 2020, 04:40:23 am »
I was making a bow for a Friends of me but halfway tillering i hinged one of te tips , i tried to Heat threat Them but after that i broke the tip off. I cutted a nee nock in It and made the other half the same wich left me with a 44 inch nock to nock of 45  1/2 tip to tip roughed out shortbow. I Will keep this bow and give my other bow to my groene because he is a bit of rough and doesn't really understand that not every bow is the same and Will probably overdraw this bow.

What Will be best to do now? Leave the width profile as It is? And what drawlenght is possible for still a decent draw weight? Would backing It with b55 string work to get longer draw from it? (Dont think i can manage to get sinew with my budget atm)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 04:45:26 am by Ricardovanleeuwen »

Re: What are my options
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 04:57:16 am »
Forgot to mention that its elm (i think rock elm)

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 01:23:55 pm »
Someone please?

Offline willie

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 10:12:54 pm »
backing it with something might keep it from breaking suddenly , but will not increase draw length.

making the bow thinner (and thereby, reducing the draw weight) will increase drawlength.

why don't you trace the back profile, and draw it a bit further each time to see where it begins to take set?

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 10:18:56 pm »
Glue on some extensions and make it 20 inches longer.

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 03:32:53 am »

why don't you trace the back profile, and draw it a bit further each time to see where it begins to take set?
whats the point of this?

And patm, u mean splicing some tips on?

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 04:06:30 am »

whats the point of this?

If you trace the back profile (unbraced) against a chackboard, or some cardboard, you can then brace and draw it to, say, 23" a couple of times, unbrace it, and then compare against the profile you traced. If it has taken any set, you will have to reduce weight, in order to be able to draw it longer. If it didn't take any set, then you brace it, try drawing it another inch, unbrace, compare, and so on...

The drawlength where it starts to take set is the longest you can get at that thickness, if you want longer draw, you will have to reduce weight.

However, with a 45 inch length, it will stack A LOT at a normal 28" draw, maybe even slip out of the knocks. So you will probably have to flip the tips no matter what, if you want that drawlength.

Hope that helps explain
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 04:16:28 am »
It will break at 28 inch draw
28 is not really normal,..for wood bows,,
Maybe save this one till u have some sinew

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2020, 09:14:34 am »
Not really aiming to 28 draw.  I used the 2x +10% rule and Comes on 20 inch wich i Will be ok with

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 11:13:45 am »
And when the bend make it possible to  let te string slip off i Will glue on some notches   behind the string nocks

Offline NicAzana

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 11:23:14 am »
I think with 48" and a 20" draw, thats not so likely to happen.
time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Offline willie

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 02:27:22 pm »
Not really aiming to 28 draw.  I used the 2x +10% rule and Comes on 20 inch wich i Will be ok with

And when the bend make it possible to  let te string slip off i Will glue on some notches   behind the string nocks

How far do you want to draw the bow?

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 04:24:33 pm »

How far do you want to draw the bow?

As far as  possible without sinew, i Saw some sisal cordage at out hobby shop for a few euro and bought a roll. Im Thinking to try  a backing from It, and if It ain't for performance, its Just for a different look/experience

Offline willie

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 06:11:38 pm »
As far as  possible without sinew, i Saw some sisal cordage at out hobby shop for a few euro and bought a roll. Im Thinking to try  a backing from It, and if It ain't for performance, its Just for a different look/experience

sinew will allow you to draw the bow further because you would be building a substantial back out of an entirely different materiel. other backings will not increase the draw length, they will only help keep the bow from flying apart when it breaks. drawing the bow past 20-22 inches will crush the belly wood, even if the backing keeps it together unless you tiller it until set begins to show.

Sisal will be a good experiment, as it may possibly allow some extra draw, how much I cannot say.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,56612.0.html

Offline StickMark

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 06:58:35 pm »
Without money for sinew, enjoy making a shorter draw bow. I get the restriction on $$$.

(I... try siyahs, Finnish bow types. Might that work if you are set on longer draw?)
Easy to place excessive set in a short bow, when asking too much of it.