Author Topic: What are my options  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Re: What are my options
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 08:44:22 pm »
Without money for sinew, enjoy making a shorter draw bow. I get the restriction on $$$.

(I... try siyahs, Finnish bow types. Might that work if you are set on longer draw?)
Easy to place excessive set in a short bow, when asking too much of it.
dont syahs strain the working limb more? And do you glue Them like tip overlays or splice Them?

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 08:49:20 pm »

sinew will allow you to draw the bow further because you would be building a substantial back out of an entirely different materiel. other backings will not increase the draw length, they will only help keep the bow from flying apart when it breaks. drawing the bow past 20-22 inches will crush the belly wood, even if the backing keeps it together unless you tiller it until set begins to show.

Sisal will be a good experiment, as it may possibly allow some extra draw, how much I cannot say.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,56612.0.html
yeah i already Read the advantage of sinew so i was looking for something simmilar. Then i Saw this threat https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=50686.0 so that's why i would try It.

Is there a difference between adding It with pva glue or hide glue? Difference in the way of one of Them is better? Because i think aplying It with pva seems easyer

Offline willie

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 09:18:01 pm »
you might post in one of those threads, and if joachim has notifications turned on, he will see your new post. otherwise, you could PM him and possibly converse in a language closer to home.

hide glue seems messier at first, but if you use some hot air to keep it from setting up too fast, I think it will work better.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 09:21:44 pm by willie »

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 02:15:47 am »
Making hide glue while tillering.
How should i prepare the back for adding the sisal? Rough It up with a Saw (scraping)?

Offline bassman

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 07:33:58 am »
I agree with add siyahs ,and make the bow longer.

bownarra

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 07:56:25 am »
Cut another stave and get it drying :)
Then have fun playing with this one. Learn how and when to slow down with wood removal so you don't get hinges.

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 11:09:36 am »
In going to try siyahs, the question is, how to glue Them on? Like tip overlays or splice?

Offline StickMark

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 01:01:22 pm »
I have never done siyahs.
V splice seems strongest, easiest.
 Looking forward to the replies.
 A great piece of hickory board, excellent grain, I have is about 50.5", and I am unsure if I want to do attached ends, static, siyahs, sinew, etc.

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 01:51:28 pm »
The easyest for me would be a scarf  joint haha, i only got a pruning Saw, a not straight cutting metal hacksaw a dull carpenters Saw and a dull back Saw

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 01:55:06 pm »
Did some Heat treating and couldnt let It to reflex the limbs a bit. Probably way too much ( done one limb) so going to deflex the handle

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 02:01:41 pm »
If the reflex pulls out i Will put siyahs on but i shot It before Heat treating and could draw It close to 20 inch, not really sure didn't measure it but It shot a quite thick cane Arrow pretty fast so if i make some rose arrows... And when Both limbs are treated i Will try the sisal

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2020, 04:09:04 am »
Since sisal dont have a lot of elasticity in wondering if It wouldnt be better to roughly weave It into a belt/strap like this leather belt for example
As i see It u can put more sisal per distance but they cant be fully pull straight because they work each other

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2020, 07:49:53 am »
Since the other limb didn't want to really reflex i made the first one straighter and plan on doing siyahs before backing.  A question, do i have to curve the siyahs out a piece of Wood or can i Just glue in a straight piece but under An angle?

Offline PatM

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2020, 07:57:58 am »
Without money for sinew, enjoy making a shorter draw bow. I get the restriction on $$$.

(I... try siyahs, Finnish bow types. Might that work if you are set on longer draw?)
Easy to place excessive set in a short bow, when asking too much of it.
dont syahs strain the working limb more? And do you glue Them like tip overlays or splice Them?

Not if they are just added to a short bow.   The wood only needs to bend the same amount and the added siyah allows that same amount of bend to translate to a longer draw length.