Author Topic: what kind of bench vice?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
what kind of bench vice?
« on: December 03, 2020, 10:34:37 am »
Hi, all.  I've finally about got my family moved into the new place, and I have uncovered enough of the work bench that I can finally think about getting down to much more important things:  Getting back to this bow I started last summer!

I want to buy a bench vice, one that will hold a bow/stave securely, but that's versatile enough for other types of projects as well. It seems there are two main types:
The woodworking vice

and the regular bench vice

Prices are about the same; both types get good reviews.  What kind do I want?

Thanks--T
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline DC

Re: what kind of bench vice?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 10:56:21 am »
I've always thought that a swiveling vice would be nice but any I've tried have never had a good swivel lock. I hate a vice that wobbles at all. I have a 3" Record and a Canadian Tire wood working vice(read cheap). Both work well but I think the wood vice holds a little better although it's a little wide when you want to grab the bow by the handle.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 12:30:03 pm »
I have one like the "regular bench vice" above. Be sure it is at least 5". The smaller 4" vices are OK but I busted 3 of the red, 4"  ones before  I got a gray 5". I haven't been able to break it yet. You'll have to pad the jaws so they don't mar the stave.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 12:44:18 pm »
I have a harbor freight one that swivels it locks in tight. Pat what do you use to pad the jaws? Also my pyramid bow is so steeply angled that it wanted to pivot in the jaws a lot, should I just use shims to make it fit better?
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 01:25:08 pm »
Bench vise, pay the extra money for an American made one. I broke 3 Chinese vises before I wised up and bought American.  Get a 5" or larger one, a good American made flea market vise will outlast you and cost much less than new. I have seen huge Wiltons go for $40 at the local flea market. Of course don't buy one that is obviously seen better days.

This Columbian one has had the hell beat out of it for 20 years and is just like when I bought it. Lowe's carried these back in the day, I don't think they do anymore. The vise pads are easy on easy off.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 01:28:32 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 01:27:01 pm »
Vise pads, 3/4" plywood works the best. The ones in the picture are poplar and broke often, I replaced them with plywood.

Offline mmattockx

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2020, 01:50:36 pm »
I want to buy a bench vice, one that will hold a bow/stave securely, but that's versatile enough for other types of projects as well.

The bench vise is by far the more versatile of the two. Because wood vises are mounted flush with the bench top and have guide rods and the screw obstructing the center of the vise jaws below the clamping area they are very restricted in what you can hold and how. They aren't really much use for conventional wood working and even less useful for bow making. I don't use a vise of any sort for the most part, I tend to clamp the bow to my bench top to rasp/scrape/work on it.

Mark

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2020, 05:37:30 pm »
Thanks Eric :)
In the woods I find my peace

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2020, 12:17:03 am »
As said, 3/4" plywood makes good pads, you can face them with felt pads.  I get a pair of magnetic plastic pads, have to check the brand name, starts with B.   Got to get a new vise, though, sold the old one by mistake!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 07:01:13 am »
I have a gun stock vise that swivels as well as having one of the jaws that is angle adjustable. It mounts on top of the bench with a heavy threaded rod through a single hole. I think it's a Wheeler..?  ???