Author Topic: 2020 Victory Gardens  (Read 38762 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: 2020 Victory Gardens
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 09:35:29 am »
So far I've got tomatoes on the bush along with pineapples, just three at the moment. Grapes are forming on the vine, lots of figs, one Ponderosa lemon, picked the other ones. Been picking peaches for a week and Ghost peppers, Tabascos and Pinas  peppers, too. Cilandro started coming up wild so we'll have some of that for chili and tacos. And have a lot of green beans sprouting flowers. Cucumbers are about 2' high and popping blossoms.
It won't be long and it will be bean picking time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 10:51:57 am »
So far I've got tomatoes on the bush along with pineapples, just three at the moment. Grapes are forming on the vine, lots of figs, one Ponderosa lemon, picked the other ones. Been picking peaches for a week and Ghost peppers, Tabascos and Pinas  peppers, too. Cilandro started coming up wild so we'll have some of that for chili and tacos. And have a lot of green beans sprouting flowers. Cucumbers are about 2' high and popping blossoms.
It won't be long and it will be bean picking time.

Sounds like a good salsa year!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 05:42:11 pm »
Cool weather stuff is doing well.  My stuff is well on its way to get ate. Radish, butter head lettuce, arugula, cabbages, kolrabi.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 06:02:40 pm »
Looks tasty, Shawn.  So, is that arrow just for show or are you using it?  Does anybody else use broken arrows for bean poles?
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 06:31:11 pm »
Just for perspective. I shot my 1st doe last season with this or one just like it. Think i only have two left of that half dozen. They are Larch shafts.

We got 30 degree nites headed for us! That is way late for 30 something here. Must be global cooling?

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 07:29:43 pm »
Better hose everything down.  Sometimes that'll save the tomatoes from a light frost.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 08:04:52 pm »
No tomatoes in yet. They in cups I take in and out.
Most years they are already in ground!

Not in the year of the Virus! Be late canning season for sure. Corn is up here about 5-6” in field. Beans are same. Wheat has tassled.

HH~

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 11:46:46 pm »
Oh well, I reckon I could come up with enough dandelion flowers to make wine if I tried hard enough - but I have work to do on the deck, thinning the hops, and packing up to move!  Oh, just remembered I don't really like wine, except mead! (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2020, 07:39:45 am »
I had frost this morning, all the guys at work said if you washed the frost off your plants with a waterhose before the sun came up you could prevent damage. I did that this morning but the frost was light.

Tonight I am going to set up my sprinkler to cover the tomatoes and squash then get up around 4 (old guys get up a lot anyway) and turn my sprinkler on, that should take care of that part of the garden. I can cover the okra and beans with plastic because the plants are small.

Frost in May is way late for Bama.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2020, 08:20:27 am »
Flowers bust open on plum and cherry trees. Don't need any snow till they are pollinated.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2020, 12:38:50 pm »
Love seeing the pictures and can't wait to grow again.  We can't start ours until I can figure out how to deer proof a plot on a budget.  Had 6 of the hooved rats bedded down under the apricot tree this morning.  Last year they even ate tomato plants down to the ground, I figured nightshades might be safe.   So far the only things they won't eat are mint, thyme, and oregano.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2020, 05:31:59 pm »
Eric, I have seen fields of strawberrys coated with ice from irrigation in the morning just waiting on the sun to release them. Crazy how ice protects them but frost damages them. We have had heavy frost last 3 days and calling far a tracking snow1" or 2" for the weekend. Bob
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 05:35:01 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2020, 07:11:51 pm »
Too windy to do anything here today. ..
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2020, 07:22:39 am »
With frost on the way last night and my garden too far along to cover the plants, I set up my sprinkler on a bar stool to get just a little more coverage. I was able to get at least splashed on water from one end of the planted stuff to the other.

I got up at 4 and turned on the sprinkler, looked out at 6 and there was a frost but not a real heavy one. Anyway, my garden was frost free, we have another round of even colder weather and more frost tonight, the  sprinkler is in place.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2020, 07:53:36 am »
It’s still to cold here for garden. Did do some prep work to improve one of my hunting spots though. This hollow had massive, beautiful, proud Ash trees growing here several years ago. They all died and I reluctantly took them out with my old escavtor. I made a lot of firewood and just got around to burning up the stumps.

Yesterday my son and I planted 50 sugar maples in the hollow. I tilled a small area bellow a stone pile for a small food plot. I made the stone pile into a elevated pit blind. Might be hard to see from pictures, but I think this is going to be a nice sit-up .
Bjrogg
First picture standing in pit looking down at food plot.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise