Author Topic: 2020 Victory Gardens  (Read 38662 times)

Offline HH~

Re: 2020 Victory Gardens
« Reply #195 on: September 03, 2020, 06:14:25 pm »
Buy it at COOP by the oz.

Still have 200lbs of tomato’s hanging.

Putting up seed now. Getting ready for the 2021 meltdown! Made fresh Salsa today. I like with some sweet Balsamic in it. Made a big big Bowl full. Gift a bunch out to the families in the hood.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #196 on: September 06, 2020, 07:36:46 am »
Yep, the local Co-Op had plenty of collard seed and hadn't heard about any shortage. I usually don't use the Co-Op for seed having gotten way too may packs from them that wouldn't germinate.

The garden came down yesterday, the greens go in today. I have to free up the slip clutch on my tiller today as well, it has been sitting outside for 14 years and the clutch plates are frozen up. I found this out the hard way last year with $2000 worth of repairs to the PTO gearbox when I picked up metal stake while tilling and the clutch didn't slip.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:11:21 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2020, 08:58:44 am »
My garden is coming down too.  Pulled and froze about a bushel of carrots yesterday; potatoes, pumpkins, and beets today.  Snow is forecasted for Monday night and Tuesday.  I didn't get any tomatoes, peppers, or cucumbers, but everything else did pretty well.  My magnificent dent corn patch is still green, but the blackbirds are decimating it.  So I think I'm going to have to harvest it green and let it ripen and dry in gunny sacks.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #198 on: September 06, 2020, 11:50:36 am »
Four and twenty blackbirds, baked into a pie?! (=) >:D (lol).   we are going to try to beat the freeze by covering the containers, but it is only supposed to be below 32F for a short time, a lot of wind though!
Red flag fire warning all weekend, then cold and snow Tuesday!  High temperature yesterday was 101F.  Oh well, everyone talks about the weather!  Nobody can do anything about it!  Stay safe!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #199 on: September 06, 2020, 01:07:00 pm »
I've started another one. Yellow Crooked neck squash, Brocoli, beans, okra, sweet potatoes and Dragon Tail radishes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #200 on: September 06, 2020, 04:58:22 pm »
Four and twenty blackbirds, baked into a pie?!

Yeah, I always thought it was a little weird that the Europeans used to eat them.  Now I know:  It was to save their crops!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #201 on: September 06, 2020, 05:48:47 pm »
No frost here yet or expected for the next 2 weeks at least but things are winding down.  Should give some of my butternut squash time to ripen anyway
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline HH~

« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2020, 06:57:55 am »
Be 90 tomorrow and for next three days. Be watering again!

Have some tomato plants that have 20lbs hanging on them apiece. Guess I will be making juice now. Just crazy weather. This morning is 50 degrees.

Shawn~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #203 on: September 08, 2020, 06:53:13 am »
Does anyone know where Canning Jar Lids can be found??
It would seem that there are None in North Alabama.

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #204 on: September 08, 2020, 07:10:41 am »
There are plenty on eBay at price gouging prices, they must have turned into gold because of the shortage.

A friend posted that Target had some canning supplies in.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #205 on: September 08, 2020, 07:23:47 am »
It was interesting project adjusting t the slip clutch on my tiller, I had watched the you tube videos on breaking a clutch free.

I backed the clutch springs all the way off, raised my tiller off the ground and put it in gear, nothing. I had a paint line across the clutch plates to see if they would move, nothing moved.

I went to plan B cautiously; I put the tiler slightly on the ground and bumped it into gear, This time I heard a sickening brief screech and though "what have I done". I got off the tractor and checked my marks, they had moved. I popped the tiller into gear again and the screech got louder and then got quiet, success, everything in the clutch was rotating freely.

I tilled a really rough spot for my neighbors greens patch, in the past I almost always pick up a huge rock and locked my tiller up on this plot. This time I didn't pick up anything and couldn't check my adjustment handiwork to see if I had things just right.

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #206 on: September 08, 2020, 08:25:29 am »
Glad you got your clutch fixed, Eric.  I always have to hire a pro for stuff like that.

Weather is crazy.  Sunday, 95F.  Yesterday, harvesting everything left that's harvestable, cloudy and highs in the 70s.  This morning, 6" of snow on the ground, cottonwood branches everywhere except on the trees, and no electricity.  (I'm typing this at work--power is on in town)  Welcome to life at high altitude!  I think the active part of gardening is over for me.  Now I'm just waiting for grain, peas, and beans to dry out (grain in burlap sacks on the deck; peas and beans on the vines) so I can thresh and winnow.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #207 on: September 08, 2020, 11:20:57 am »
Glad you got your clutch fixed, Eric.  I always have to hire a pro for stuff like that.

Weather is crazy.  Sunday, 95F.  Yesterday, harvesting everything left that's harvestable, cloudy and highs in the 70s.  This morning, 6" of snow on the ground, cottonwood branches everywhere except on the trees, and no electricity.  (I'm typing this at work--power is on in town)  Welcome to life at high altitude!  I think the active part of gardening is over for me.  Now I'm just waiting for grain, peas, and beans to dry out (grain in burlap sacks on the deck; peas and beans on the vines) so I can thresh and winnow.

That is wild.  Still no prediction of frost here.  Cool today but far from freezing. 

I've been battling some Beavers that have decided to make a small creek that drains the swamp behind my house their home over the last few days.  They are persistent.  They have 4 dams along that creek and every day I go and break them up.  I know that won't discourage them but I don't want to trap them till later when the fur is prime
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #208 on: September 08, 2020, 11:55:21 am »
Re: canning supplies - Ace Hardware and WallyWorld usually have them on hand.  Seems to be a lot more people canning this year.  Hope they do it right! -C-
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline HH~

« Reply #209 on: September 08, 2020, 04:50:42 pm »
Buy lids by the case in Spring. All i have left is a pack of two of regular size and a bunch of wide months.

Shawn~