Author Topic: 2020 Victory Gardens  (Read 38807 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: 2020 Victory Gardens
« Reply #210 on: September 09, 2020, 07:01:00 am »
Winter planting is DONE!
I planted my greens,  Siberian kale, red Russian kale, collards and purple top turnips. I am going to try spinach planted through newspaper with grass mulching when the weather cools a bit, my normal black plastic it too hot for these plants.

I planted my deer plot down in the woods, the electric fence is sparking to keep the deer from plucking up the tender plants before they get a start.

I planted a huge greens patch on my neighbors land as an experiment, it is about 35' wide and 120' long. In the past when I planted a greens patch on a hunting club the deer wouldn't touch them. I planted this one to see if our urban deer are as picky, I bet they mow it to the ground. It has the same things planted in it as my greens patch with the addition of Dalkon radishes and seven top turnips

Offline HH~

« Reply #211 on: September 09, 2020, 02:35:21 pm »
Diakon White radish?

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2020, 06:36:02 pm »
Yep

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2020, 10:25:47 pm »
My mum is blooming!! took the whole summer!!! it seems someone shut my window on a leaf and when i went to move to pot it made the roots less stable. tied the flower to a metal rod and now im just gonna keep growing it, deadheading it, putting new soil, and so forth for as long as i can. mums are really pretty!!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2020, 06:51:25 am »
Came close to freezing last night.  Might get that frost next week though

I like planting flowers too but I prefer flowers that smell nice as well, maybe being surrounded by a swamp has something to do with that :-).  Planted some Black Locust a few years ago and it started flowering a couple years ago.  The flowers have a heavenly smell.  I let a friend smell the flowers and now he wants to plant some at his place.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline HH~

« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2020, 10:49:24 am »
Will hit 89-90 today. Have to water again. Pool is still 82 degrees. Got to test it. May be drinking when the bottom falls out in November ;)

HH~

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2020, 11:25:00 am »
89!! were in the 40-50s!! gotta pick the rest of the carolina cayennes ... tomatoes arent turning red anymore... well, at least the lettuce should be happy.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #217 on: September 11, 2020, 12:17:22 pm »
I think my tomatoes survived the cold snap, didn't get much below freezing for very long, and we got an inch of rain instead of snow over 2 days.  Beans seem to be making more blossoms, and we got a couple little zucchinis.  Warming up some, may be back to 90 by Tuesday, the grass seems to be greening back up from the drought, water bill is high, though!  Every one stay safe!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #218 on: September 13, 2020, 08:29:40 am »
Planted some Black Locust a few years ago and it started flowering a couple years ago.  The flowers have a heavenly smell.  I let a friend smell the flowers and now he wants to plant some at his place.

yes and they taste delicious fried in batter

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #219 on: September 14, 2020, 06:55:15 am »
Badgerling and I got some wild plum jam made yesterday.  Yummmmm
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #220 on: September 14, 2020, 08:03:52 am »
Be gud on those elk peanut butter double protein samiches for pack lunch on the mountain.

HH~

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #221 on: September 14, 2020, 08:13:56 am »
Be gud on those elk peanut butter double protein samiches for pack lunch on the mountain.

HH~
Ha ha ha  That sounds awful, Shawn!  Anything tastes good in the mountains.  There's hungry and there's elk hunting hungry.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline HH~

« Reply #222 on: September 16, 2020, 09:32:21 am »
Not sure how many Cayenne's are here but I have about 50 hanging on this one plant. Use the motor and pestle when they all dry and make a bottle of seasoning for Brats, Gumbo, red beans and rice  or any of my fav O rite cajun dishes. Petra makes em I justs eats em.

Shawn

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #223 on: September 17, 2020, 09:23:14 am »
man those look awesome! i tried to dry mine but it got humid and some started to rot. i used all the good ones to make hot sauce.

Offline HH~

« Reply #224 on: September 17, 2020, 06:16:52 pm »
Not much moisture in Cayennes. Just put em in a good dry spot. Nothing going to eat these things so in the skinning shed they go.

Yellow ones I never had before. I know they are hot. When sewing them up 1st time i forgot to wash my fingers and of course, I rubbed my eye and my face. 

Shawn~