Author Topic: 2020 Victory Gardens  (Read 37797 times)

Offline HH~

Re: 2020 Victory Gardens
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2020, 11:55:16 am »
Puff Balls, more accurately giant ones are fine. Been eating them fo 45yrs. Mild and they dry fine. Get a big glass jar with a good seal lid. Let em cool, drop in, done

I Freeze Chantrelles. Just quicker to use since im not keeping them more than 8 months or so.

Shawn~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #241 on: September 25, 2020, 06:47:41 am »
A lot of my friends who don't grow gardens love greens so I plant a communal greens patch that they can pick from. I also have some elderly friends that can't pick so I deliver greens to them.

I have two surviving in-laws from my late wife's family that love greens as well, these family members are all country folk and raised on them. I till them a greens patch every year but they are not great gardeners so I end up taking them greens.  No matter how much I stress proper planting time plus lime and fertilizer to them they don't follow my lead and grow stunted stuff.

The hard body gals at the gym all like kale but they make health oriented smoothies or other disgusting stuff out of it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 06:50:43 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #242 on: September 25, 2020, 07:08:18 am »
The only thing wrong with kale is that it tastes like kale.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #243 on: September 25, 2020, 11:37:27 am »
Add lots of butter, some salt, ham hocks, and cover with Parmesan cheese, about 1 oz of kale! -C- -C (lol)!

Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #244 on: September 25, 2020, 12:19:36 pm »
Add lots of butter, some salt, ham hocks, and cover with Parmesan cheese, about 1 oz of kale! -C- -C (lol)!

Hawkdancer
Sounds like a great recipe...except I'd do it without the kale.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #245 on: September 25, 2020, 11:23:36 pm »
you know, sometimes i like to put my kale on the side.... and then inevitabally leave it there.....
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #246 on: September 26, 2020, 12:15:00 am »
I think I will stick with spinach, on the other hand, I am supposed to go easy on high iron foods >:D!
There goes the venison liver with wild rice and mushrooms in wine sauce!  Curses, foiled again >:D -C- (lol)!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #247 on: September 26, 2020, 08:26:00 am »
I believe that kale is an ornamental plant, not an edible.  Or rather, it's a bit like grasshoppers and carp:  Edible, but I've never been that hungry.

Well, my garden got all put to sleep last weekend.  Junk cleared out, chicken coop cleaned out and resulting nastiness tilled into the ground.  We're showing our house this weekend and I think it's going to sell, so this might turn out to have been our last struggle with the Badger Manor chunck o' clay that is our garden patch.  We shall see!
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
~Louis L'Amour

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #248 on: September 26, 2020, 06:46:16 pm »
I'll stick with Collards and Turnip greens.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #249 on: September 26, 2020, 07:19:23 pm »
I lover kale, either steamed with hot pepper vinegar or chopped in a slaw with cabbage, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, walnuts, dried cranberries and poppy seed dressing.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #250 on: September 27, 2020, 07:21:30 am »
For many eating greens is like grazing grass in the yard, disgusting, for us southern folk with the acquired taste for them they add a richness to a meal when properly prepared. I cook my kale, collards and turnip greens with a little olive oil and garlic, I often cooked them for family gatherings of up to 45 people and there would not be a scrap left after the meal.

Of course there is poke salat which out definitely turn off any non green eaters.

My my latest way to cook poke; sautéed in butter with garlic and onion, stir fried with smoked pork sausage and wild chanterelle mushrooms with a little chicken stock added and boiled down until it isn't soupy.

Here is kale cooked the same way, without the chanterelles;

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #251 on: September 27, 2020, 04:54:19 pm »
mmmmm... eric. that pictures making me rethink leaving my kale on the side! that looks good! guess ive only ever tried kale plain...
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #252 on: September 28, 2020, 12:45:11 pm »
Season coming to a end. Frost is coming. Put up my last 11 jars of Roma tomatoes. Not the greatest garden this year. Started good, Hail in June, Scorching heat in July and August. Herbs did good, going to dry a bunch. Waiting for frost. Split the rhubarb, dig potatoes, and make horse radish. Guess that's why they call it next year country. Already planning
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #253 on: September 28, 2020, 11:51:40 pm »
Crap". I thought we were doing good to get a dozen headmasters and 2 dozen cherry tomatoes, late planting of course, and here comes a frost, maybe!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline HH~

« Reply #254 on: September 29, 2020, 05:38:50 pm »
Picked another load of Better Boys, JCMs and a load of kale greens for tomorrows dinner.

Think im going to do some green salsa verde but tomatoes not tomatillles. Will see not much time have hunting to do and get ready for elk bear deer hunt out west.

Shawn~

MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW